Moparts

posi confusion

Posted By: mro

posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:02 PM

I can't remember which was which - posi unit what was the open ? closed? pics? im confused
Posted By: drew72

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:04 PM

Why are you asking about Gm products on a Mopar forum?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:05 PM

Sure grip is mopar for posi and open is just that open.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:07 PM

"Posi-Trac" is actually a GM term used for GM's limited slip differential. Chrysler called their limited slip differentials the "Sure Grip". Generally speaking, a "Posi" is a limited slip differential.

EDIT: I got treed, big time.

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:10 PM

Guy - I know its called sure grip - to humanity its a posi. I don't come on here to have my nads cracked. I come on here for help when I need it and I HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE IN RETURN SO COOL YOUR JETS GM BOY.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

Guy - I know its called sure grip - to humanity its a posi. I don't come on here to have my nads cracked. I come on here for help when I need it and I HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE IN RETURN SO COOL YOUR JETS GM BOY.

Meoow
Lighten up your self cat women

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:26 PM

Quote:

If this reply was directed to me:

I meant no disrespect. The question you asked is a beginners question, plain and simple. I figured I would help you out and explain the correct terminology. I don't crack nads, I try and enlighten when I can. Sorry you were offended.
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 05:32 PM

Quote:

I can't remember which was which - posi unit what was the open ? closed? pics? im confused

An "open" differential is what you might also have seen called the one wheel wonder

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:16 PM

Sorry - crappy day -
I don't remember like I used to - the unit has the window through the casing and I can see the clutch springs - thats the closed right?

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:17 PM

And by the way - it was directed at DREW.

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:20 PM

Quote:

Sorry - crappy day -
I don't remember like I used to - the unit has the window through the casing and I can see the clutch springs - thats the closed right?

Yes. More specifically, it is the cone type Sure Grip.

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:23 PM

This will help

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/13.html

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:29 PM

thanks
Posted By: NANKET

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:47 PM

This will explain it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E6IfdUJn6s
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Sorry - crappy day -

That is a CONE type SURE GRIP and it's a POS by design ... pass ...

Also there is a picture of the different type of SURE GRIPS in the tech archive .

edit ... i see i was treed ...
Posted By: west

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry - crappy day -

Also there is a picture of the different type of SURE GRIPS in the tech archive .

the cone style may not be optimal but it works fine. I have beat on the cone type with 400 h.p. with no problems.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: posi confusion - 08/03/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry - crappy day -

the cone style may not be optimal but it works fine. I have beat on the cone type with 400 h.p. with no problems.

You could beat it with 2000 hp , that still doesn't change the fact that it's a POS design .
Posted By: Commando1

Re: posi confusion - 08/04/11 12:41 PM

Quote:

Guy - I know its called sure grip -

If you know that then you also know that you'll "get your nads cracked" for calling it a posi here (of ALL places).
Don't come in here and immediately do something that you KNOW will pizz people off. That's arrogance.
GIGO
© 2024 Moparts Forums