Moparts

Dual throttle springs

Posted By: 1BAD68

Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 03:22 PM

How many of you are using two throttle return springs?
I hammer my gas pedal frequently and wonder when my single spring will break and destroy my engine.
Tried using two springs but it made the pedal stiff and jerky when just driving normal.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 03:24 PM

Safety first - hence Ma using two springs on the throttle - good leg work out ! ha ha ha

Cheers

Mark
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 03:38 PM

I first tried the dual spring kit that comes with 1 large and 1 small spring that passes through the larger when installed. The pedal was to stiff IMO.

I purchased this one thorugh jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/15228/10002/-1

I like it plus you can adjust the tension since too.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 03:44 PM

I agree that 2 springs make the pedal a little stiffer than I'd like, but I found just 1 spring sometimes isn't enough to bring the carb back to the idle stop every time.
Posted By: aquamist60

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 04:37 PM

We use 2 springs on the race car. The 1st setup was very stiff, so we moved it around, adjusting it so it wasn't as stiff, but still pull the throttle so it snaps back. At the track we race at the 1st turn off is a sign "500 feet" till the end of the track/last turn off. Then a sand pit, then a river and I don't like swimming.
Posted By: topside

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 04:42 PM

Double springs on everything; you can get one of those assortments in the "help" section at the auto parts store and use a lighter spring inside the main spring or at another location and it won't be too stiff. Or one of the double setups on non-restoration cars. It just needs enough tension to close the butterflies.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 05:20 PM

Years ago when I was a wee boy I used one spring and it broke while I was showing off going in reverse. The brakes would not stop the car. I totaled a Toronado and a wall and broke my leg, in the process. My brother was on top of the car and got tossed when I hit the wall.
Coulda been worse if some one were standing in the way. Not a shining moment. Use two springs.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 05:25 PM

With all due respect, there is more wrong with that than the lack of an additional spring. LMAO
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

I hammer my gas pedal frequently and wonder when my single spring will break and destroy my engine.
Tried using two springs but it made the pedal stiff and jerky when just driving normal.

Try two slightly weaker springs.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

With all due respect, there is more wrong with that than the lack of an additional spring. LMAO

LMOA now but not then.
You bet, and is stupid, and so were we, but the spring did break and some cause trouble. Guess it was bound to happen the way we played. At least I have survived my stupid faze. Like I said not a shining moment.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

x 2 ... it is has been a while since I bought a set but the pair I got a while ago did not increase pressure much at all. And they separately returned the throttle back fine.
Posted By: okie

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 06:12 PM

I have 2 springs on mine and it isn't hard to push down. Ronnie
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 06:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Or use the 'srong' spring you already have and go to the local Autozone, Advanced, Etc. In the HELP! section they carry a universal sping that is cut-to-fit. Make it the 'weak spring'

I have the Locar set-up. My 'Primary' spring is on the carb, but the 'seconday' or back-up is on the lever arm of the Transmission. So it is hidden. Still does the job though.

Just my pennies,
CC.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 06:43 PM

I still have my FACTORY spring, and DAMN!! THAN THING IS STIFF SO STIFF THAT MY KNEE GET HURTS, specially traveling in the country... maybe metal its somehow cristalized. Got a new one to replace it but engine is not build yet
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 07:52 PM

to much spring wears the shaft/bushings on the carb at a fast rate.

one reason most carbs need the shafts bushed when rebuilt

I use one medium spring on mine,i am always ready to kill the switch if it sticks WOT

Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 10:33 PM

Two springs set up properly will not be hard to push. I can't tell the difference on mine at all, you just need the right combo of springs.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 10:37 PM

ACE hardware carries a large assortment of springs that would work. I'm using two of them and one fits inside the other without making the accelerator hard to push.
scratchnfotraction, you really do need two springs because as fast as you are you may still be too slow.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/03/11 10:48 PM

Two light springs, one slightly stronger than the other and pulling from the opposite direction and on the opposite side of the throttle shaft, can help offset a throttle cable and a single spring's constant pull and wear on the throttle shaft bushings.

When properly sized and located, they help counter each others tendency to pull the throttle shaft into the bushing.

Some carbs have a return spring built into the throtle shaft.
Posted By: cudaboone

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 12:47 AM

I run 2 springs on my 1050 dominator. One (1) is not worth the risk and i does not feel overly hard to push.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 03:05 AM

Quote:

Two light springs, one slightly stronger than the other and pulling from the opposite direction and on the opposite side of the throttle shaft, can help offset a throttle cable and a single spring's constant pull and wear on the throttle shaft bushings.

When properly sized and located, they help counter each others tendency to pull the throttle shaft into the bushing.

Some carbs have a return spring built into the throtle shaft.

100%
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 04:52 AM

My cars see occasional track time -- they won't pass tech without dual springs. So, yes -- dual springs here.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 05:14 AM

I saw a 4 sec 1/8th mile car break loose, get back on it (dumb), then found the trees at the end of the shutdown area.

Use two springs.
Posted By: 1BAD68

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 02:02 PM

I played around with some different springs and after finding a good combo and turning the spring bracket 90 degree's, I was able to get a nice feel to the pedal.

Attached picture 6762552-IMG_1159.JPG
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/04/11 02:07 PM

... come to think about it .. the last NEW set I bought was at NAPA. I have seen a single large spring be way-more "pressure" than a properly comboed-together set.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/06/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

I played around with some different springs and after finding a good combo and turning the spring bracket 90 degree's, I was able to get a nice feel to the pedal.

Just grab some springs from a junker. It's hard to find the right combo from those assorted packs of springs.

Your present set up will be easy to press the pedal but hard as you reach the floor. That's the problem with running short springs.
For a more consistent feel from tip in to full throttle, you need 2 long weak springs.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Dual throttle springs - 08/06/11 11:30 AM

Quick Fuel makes a dual return spring kit too.

Attached picture 6765732-49-3TReturnSpring.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums