Moparts

mp gold box no spark

Posted By: n_bogie1984

mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 12:55 AM

so i decided to switch out my old chrome box for a gold one, according all papers iveseen wireing is same, wit a .70 ohm ballast and a blaster 2 coil, coil is yr old and had twoballasts and tried them both, the box came from summit in a mopar box no paprs what so ever. and the center screw didnt seem to grab like it was stripped. from wht i read that combo will work just not have the high output as with the mp coil and 1/4 ohm. would you think box is no good and return or did i miss something?
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 02:11 AM

Make sure the box was grounded to the car. Since you say the screw hole for the harness seemed stripped out, you may have got a faulty box someone else returned !
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 05:18 PM

Sounds like a bad box.

If it was mine I'd either leave the chrome on it, or switch to msd.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 05:58 PM

a little bit off topic

you are the first guy what I know trying a gold box. Is stated just for Race purpouse.

is there someone else running or trying to run a gold box around ?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 09:27 PM

Quote:

a little bit off topic

you are the first guy what I know trying a gold box. Is stated just for Race purpouse.

is there someone else running or trying to run a gold box around ?

the gold box is for race applications only. it will over-heat and burn up with constant low rpms. it is also a multi-spark and requires a different wiring harness which is why you can't get it screwed in right.
Posted By: n_bogie1984

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/03/11 11:42 PM

everything i have seen says it same plug and harness
Posted By: orangedustya

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/04/11 12:36 AM

I have had my gold box on a 68 Dart, a 73 Duster, and now on a 74 Dart Sport. There is no differece in wiring from a stock box to any other box whether its orange, chrome, or gold. I also ran the gold on the street with no problem. When you mount it make sure it is grounded and I always use washers to space it off firewall or fender to help backside from retaining heat.
Brad
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/04/11 12:54 AM

from what i read it depends on whether it's a 4 pin or 5 pin harness.
Posted By: orangedustya

Re: mp gold box no spark - 08/04/11 02:17 AM

The box will have 4 pins and the harness has 5 pin connector. At least thats the way mine is. I don't know what the 5th one on the harness is for but I've had stock, orange, and gold on it and they all ran fine.
Brad
© 2024 Moparts Forums