Moparts

Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..?

Posted By: ramman5600

Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/02/11 02:51 PM

I am looking at getting into the B-body crowd and thus far have been involved with E-Bodys more than anything else, so I am looking for some advice when going to check out a potential 68 Hemi GTX.

Mod- if there is a better forum please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Here's a link to the car in question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

-C
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/02/11 05:39 PM

Paging Scott Harms Smith.. And all the other Knowledgable 68 Hemi B body guys...
Posted By: topside

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/02/11 05:54 PM

J-code in VIN, #s may be stamped @ bellhousing near oil PSI sender, K-member skid plate, reinforcements at leaf springs, 3/8" fuel line, engine harness along rt valve cover with big plug & single plug, trans cooler on 727 cars, 3-speed/variable style wiper motor, 26" rad & shroud on Hemis...those are the easiest to see. No A/C or dash vents for same.
'68 Hemi cars also had specific owner's manuals.
'68 GTX VINs start with RS. They had rocker moldings, side stripes (check door edges & jambs for evidence), XHD rear springs, of course the cast trunklid panel & deep grille & bucket interior with woodgrain inserts on the dash & door/qtr trim panels.
Posted By: silverhemiboy

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/02/11 10:22 PM

I believe early 68's had 66 blocks. Check the carbs are they original or the edelbrocks. There should be a stamped serial number on the radiator sub frame. Should have a dana rear with the four speed. I believe there should be a 73 on the trim tag in tha lower left corner after the carline and body type (Roadrunner would be RM 21).
Posted By: ramman5600

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/03/11 12:13 AM

Any value in the Galen report he mentions in the ad?

-C
Posted By: topside

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/03/11 02:47 AM

Yup, engine code 73, and commonly cast in '66. In case I wasn't clear about the block VIN stamping, some are not stamped but look for 8 digits, like 8('68model)/alpha(plant)/000000 (last 6 of VIN). 727 car would originally have an 8.75 rear. Eddy carbs won't fit the stock Hemi air cleaner base, air cleaner rings are too big.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/03/11 03:11 AM

radiator support and left side under under the trunk weatherstip, should have the SO number stamped.

Also there is an "extra support" plate for the rear axle pinion bump stop in Hemi cars.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/03/11 01:50 PM

Quote:

Any value in the Galen report he mentions in the ad?

-C

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Things to be aware of when inspecting a 68 Hemi GTX..? - 08/03/11 04:15 PM

C'mom commando, if you are lucky he will remember that he's 'documented' the car and won't molest it at a car show. That's gotta be worth something!
© 2024 Moparts Forums