Moparts

How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable.

Posted By: midnite360

How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/01/11 05:41 PM

It take way to long to shift and then doesnt want to go into 3rd... The instructions are kinda lame. Anyhelp would be great!
Posted By: west

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/01/11 07:41 PM

make sure your fluid is full first.
at 15-20 mph the car should shift through all 3 gears and the lever on the trans should be back all the way at full throttle.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/01/11 08:22 PM

It can make a difference ware the cable hooks to carb. The closer to the shaft make cable move slower. so if you need it to shift sooner move closer to shaft. good luck
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/01/11 11:27 PM

You can't adjust out poor design, the Lokar only works if the total travel of the carb lever matches the total travel of the transmission lever....they seldom do. In most cases the transmission lever is too long and a new hole must be drilled closer to the transmission.

Adding a spring to pull the transmission lever forward is another think Lokar omitted but is a must.
Posted By: plazomat

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 01:10 AM

I tried for ever and it barely works now. I had to lengthen the carb arm so I could get more pull on the cable. Still fine tuning now, but soon I may give up and get a better cable.

If you are not in love with it, send it back and get the other guys lokar kickdown cable for mopes is just crap.
Posted By: midnite360

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 02:01 AM

Who makes a better alternative?
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 03:08 AM

I wouldnt be so prejudiced against it just yet...be patient and let some more with experience chime in.

Lokar Cables are nice pieces. And since when does anything work out of the box on a mopar? ahaha? If there is something, I sure as hell dont know about it!
Posted By: mopfried

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 03:20 AM

Im using a lokar cable on a 750 holley and 727/440. I have been swapping around carbs and found there is a sweet spot. Right now it shifts into 2 just fine but third is too long. It is very sensitive when you get close. I will try the spring on the tranny lever. Im not sure if there is one there or not.
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 03:28 AM

Quote:

The Bouchillon kit is WAY better than a lokar. Very good instructions too.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp
Posted By: challenger70

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Bouchillon kit is WAY better than a lokar. Very good instructions too.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp

Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 09:37 PM

are you sure its installed correctly? i have installed lokar kickdowns on many cars and have never had any issues with adjusting it. never had to drill extra holes in the trans leaver, never had to install a return spring at the trans. i find it pretty hard to believe that i just got lucky with all the ones i have installed. sounds to me that something isn't correct with the install. did you cut the cable down enough? where do you have it hooked tot he carb??

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 09:46 PM

Quote:

i find it pretty hard to believe that i just got lucky with all the ones i have installed.

Not necessarily lucky, just willing to accept the way they operate when adjusted according to the instructions. Some folks think a light-throttle 1-2 shift at 35 and a 2-3 shift at 45 is OK.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i find it pretty hard to believe that i just got lucky with all the ones i have installed.

Not necessarily lucky, just willing to accept the way they operate when adjusted according to the instructions. Some folks think a light-throttle 1-2 shift at 35 and a 2-3 shift at 45 is OK.

like i said i have never has issues like you claim to have had with the lokar set up. my car shifts damn nicely when barley on the throttle or when really into the throttle and all the places in between.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/02/11 09:55 PM

I have had no problems using the lokar on a 727 trans and am using the same lokar on my 518 with only having to drill a hole inboard on the trans lever.
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/03/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

You can't adjust out poor design, the Lokar only works if the total travel of the carb lever matches the total travel of the transmission lever....they seldom do. In most cases the transmission lever is too long and a new hole must be drilled closer to the transmission.

Adding a spring to pull the transmission lever forward is another think Lokar omitted but is a must.

This is EXACTLY what I had to do also.
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/03/11 02:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is EXACTLY what I had to do also.

Got any pics of that?
Posted By: Junky

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/03/11 04:28 PM

My Lokar throttle and trans cables function just fine. I found them quite easy to install. Soft low shifts at light throttle, and banging shifts at WOT. I run a TransGo too.

Re: How to Adjust a LOKAR Kickdown cable. - 08/03/11 10:46 PM

Quote:

like i said i have never has issues like you claim to have had with the lokar set up. my car shifts damn nicely when barley on the throttle or when really into the throttle and all the places in between.

Then you DID luck out and had one of the shorter TP levers, the most common TP lever is way too long to properly work with the generic Lokar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums