Moparts

Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route?

Posted By: Osyman

Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 05:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-PLY...#ht_12784wt_948

It replaces everything except your coil. $45

I'm not an expert on ignition systems, could someone explain this to me, and if it's worth my time? I'm having trouble getting my engine to start and I know I'm not getting spark, thinking of going to something simple like this.
Posted By: teflon

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 05:24 PM

$44.50 ???? Seems to good to be true.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 06:14 PM

A friend of mine has one in his Valiant & it seems to work good. He did the full Hot Rod Power Tour this year without a problem & drives everyday. The ebay description sums it up well. It's much like a MSD ready to run distributor. The GM design module is a great design. Your older Jaguar mid 90's 7 back used a GM module as well as a other brands. Jag mounted the module almost like the one in the pic.
Posted By: Osyman

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 07:01 PM

So I get an accel supercoil, 8 mm wires, regap my plugs, 12v ignition wire and distributor wire to +coil, other distrib wire to -coil, unhook ballast and ecu and go?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 07:43 PM

That is not what I would call an HEI unit. The GM hei units had the coil pack built in and were a completely self contained unit requiring only 1 twelve volt connection. The other advantage to the actual GM HEI unit is you can get parts for them ANYWHERE!!!
I'd look around for something similiar to this
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depar...s/?autoview=SKU
Might be able to find a cheaper one with some effort
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 07/31/11 09:35 PM

they seem to be the same as the Peosource ones. i have one from Skip White but bought a female style cap from Prosource. they told me its the same unit. i haven't tried to re-curve it yet and don't see how to readily take it apart. they also fit too tight in the oil drive slot and need to have a hair ground off.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 08/01/11 05:04 AM

I have one on my 440 and one on my Jeep's 258. Expect to have to buy an advance recurve kit for a GM HEI because for me neither had the curve OOTB that I wanted. But no driveability or reliability problems. The one I bought for my Jeep is a HEI style with the coil on the cap, the one for my 440 is like the one in your link. Like it says it's a simple 2-wire hookup. I run it with a MSD Blaster SS coil. Both wires from the distributor go to the coil, add your tach wire to coil - and a switched 12v power source to coil +.
Posted By: cornet684me

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 08/01/11 05:21 AM

i have 1 on my 1973 motorhome 440/727, i love this dist., no problems and got rid of the ballast and the ecu on the firewall, just 2 wire and you ready,

the only thing i do not like, is the big chrome looking box on the dist. and really no adjustments can be made unless you do some mods.

however, i cld the tech support at skipwhite and he did say you can make adjustments and he proceeded to tell me how, however, i could not figure it out, he sd the dist is all in about 2800 to 3000.

does fine on my street driven car,

Posted By: phantomx

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 08/01/11 05:42 AM

I bought one of those from 440 Source. I fired my 440 and broke in the cam with it. I was running kinda crappy and getting kinda warm. Decided to try a stock points dist I had and it runs much better and never gets over 180 deg. The rotor isn't phased the same as a mopar dist so you have to make sure you find the #1 terminal and go from there. I was less than impressed. I think I'm just gonna get a new MP dist or similar. Cheap aint always a good deal.
Travis..
Posted By: dan9

Re: Saw this distributor, has anyone went this route? - 08/01/11 01:36 PM

I have one for a chevy. It started the truck just fine but as soon as i dropped it in gear it would stall. It acted like the converter was locked. After changing the converter, carb and much aggrivation i replaced the distributor. Whatever is wrong with it is unservicable. I bought it from the same guy, not his fault though. They seem imported with a flimsy cap. As stated i think you get what you pay for. The design is great for limited firewall clearence but why go to all the trouble to make a cheap and inexpensive part that doesn't work?
© 2024 Moparts Forums