Moparts

440 crank?

Posted By: Lawn Monkey

440 crank? - 07/31/11 03:49 AM

70, 440 crank is there an automatic crank and a manual crank or just one standard crank
Posted By: bumps440

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 04:18 AM

Chrysler motors usually were not drilled for a pilot bushing. How many chrysler imperials did you know with a 4 speed!

Now ask me how I know that.
Built my first engine back in 74 for my GTX. got a junkyard 440 to build. engine all done on the engine stand and now its time to install the pilot bushing.......NOT.
Posted By: Lawn Monkey

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 09:06 AM

Quote:

Chrysler motors usually were not drilled for a pilot bushing. How many chrysler imperials did you know with a 4 speed!

Built my first engine back in 74 for my GTX. got a junkyard 440 to build. engine all done on the engine stand and now its time to install the pilot bushing.......NOT.

bumps440 good post as would have it I have a Chrysler Newport 440 as my base for my build. I assume its just a little machine shop work to install a pilot bushing?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

bumps440 good post as would have it I have a Chrysler Newport 440 as my base for my build. I assume its just a little machine shop work to install a pilot bushing?

It may be that simple , if the shop can handle the job . the cranks are drilled but not finished reamed to size and or depth . the simple way around it is to use the late model pilot bushing that fits in the crank register where the torque convertor snout sits. you may more than likely need to trim about 3/8" off the end of the input shaft , easy to do wit ha whizzer wheel just cover the trans well and wrap tape around the end of the bearing retainer to keep that area clean.

Napa used to sell a bearing that would fit the unfinished cranks but the time I tried to buy one it was not the correct part ???
Posted By: bumps440

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 12:25 PM

Yes It is easy enough to do now with the crank out of the motor. there is a hole there but not the right size. easy machine shop job now.
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 01:47 PM

BCA/National FC69907 is the number and I paid $12 for the last one I got. Passon's and Brewer's have a bearing also $18.

My 72 440 was out of a Big Chrysler, Steel crank and it was drilled for the regular bushing. I thought most Steel Cranks were? I know the Cast ones are not unless they are out of something with a 4-speed.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 05:55 PM

Quote:

Yes It is easy enough to do now with the crank out of the motor. there is a hole there but not the right size. easy machine shop job now.

Depends on the crank. My cast 440 crank is not drilled at all.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 06:10 PM

Ive got a Imp crank in my 440.It was drilled.It seems they were hit and miss.Some are some arent behind autos.Like said crank out its an easy fix.Rocky
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 440 crank? - 07/31/11 10:26 PM

Don't confuse "drilled" with drilled to the correct size, most all forged cranks were drilled .915" but not all were finish sized .938" for a bushing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums