Moparts

Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise

Posted By: MonGoo$e

Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 07/31/11 01:42 AM

904 '73 Duster, has a new cable in it. I thought I greased it, not sure. it bounces around, holds steady at the wrong but close speed and then bounces around, if you listen you'll hear a tingy or ringing sound from it..What could that be?
Posted By: dart1962_440

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 07/31/11 03:21 AM

My speedo did this on my GTX and it turned out that the speedo cable wasn't fully installed on the back of the speedometer.
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/01/11 07:41 AM

I had my barracuda speedo rebuilt at a local speedo shop because of the same issue. They said that bushings inside let the rotating parts wobble and come into contact with each other and make that tingy noise. It was smooth as butter after the rebuild. I actually had one speedo that broke the needle off because of the bouncing.
Travis..
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/01/11 07:58 AM

It pays to look at all the parts to the puzzle. The speedometer itself can be failing. The cable at the speedo could be loose. The lube in the cable may have dried out. The rotating cable inside may have frayed. The cable screw cap at the trans could be loose or on crooked. The speedo pinion may be out of adjustment. Finally, the pinion may have one or more teeth chipped.
Posted By: brianz426

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/01/11 06:18 PM

I agree with all of the Frankenduster. My Cuda speedometer was bouncing, turned out the cable was dried out. I cleaned and lubed it, it's been fine since.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/01/11 08:26 PM

lub the cable
Posted By: BDW

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/02/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

I had my barracuda speedo rebuilt at a local speedo shop because of the same issue. They said that bushings inside let the rotating parts wobble and come into contact with each other and make that tingy noise. It was smooth as butter after the rebuild. I actually had one speedo that broke the needle off because of the bouncing.
Travis..

Exact same experience here, actually broke 2 needles before getting the right diagnosis.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/02/11 01:15 AM

Also make sure you have no sharp bends in the cable--especially behind the speedo itself. The cables operate a LOT smoother when they are straight as possible. On some cars thats not easy
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: Ideas on speedometer bouncing/noise - 08/02/11 02:23 AM

The tingy sound is the key. That usually means the bushings in the speedo are worn and the rotating parts are touching. Squealing can be the cable.
© 2024 Moparts Forums