Moparts

Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes...

Posted By: ChickMaggot

Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/23/11 05:23 PM

I was just on Firm Feel's site investigating a future purchase and noticed the 20:1 and 16:1 manual boxes are no longer available.

Anyone know why?

Maggot
Posted By: west

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/23/11 09:36 PM

call them up and ask,they are a nice bunch and if they have one left over you just might get it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 02:31 AM

I had no idea they were not avail. Cant speak on how it'd b on the street but on our circle burner going from manual 24:1 to 16:1 was a night/day improvement. b 4 that my hands were all over the place
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 05:08 AM

if you get the 16-1 be sure and get a gym membership to go with it.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 05:26 AM

Whoever was making the gears decided not to make them anymore. Happens all the time. Low volume stuff doesn't pay the bills so the products get turned off when the tooling wears out.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 07:09 AM

Flaming River has a Mopar manual 16:1 box for A,B,E applications PN# 1540 $500
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 09:38 AM

Quote:

Bummer is that it has a heavier cast iron case than the factory aluminum case.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 10:45 AM

I believe the box is cast iron, but stronger. Old school look, aluminum case and cheaper cost to build compared to flaming river and you will see why folks want those boxes in that ratio.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 01:57 PM

mancini used to offer the 20:1 worm gear i bought one and some new seals and bearings did my box. not sure if they still have it though. i thought the wieght difference in the flaming river box and factory was only a few pounds, 3 or 4?

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 05:15 PM

i had a firm feel 16-1 in my car but it was just too much work for a driven street car.they actually took it back no questions asked.great customer service.this was some years back.

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

I love my quick ratio box and don't notice it being difficult to steer.If you compare it to power steering it will feel hard but If compared to a stock manual box there is not much difference.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

Whoever was making the gears decided not to make them anymore. Happens all the time. Low volume stuff doesn't pay the bills so the products get turned off when the tooling wears out.

The Mopar 2011 Performance catalog still lists a manual steering gear kit (20 to 1) #P4007612...

Just my $0.02..

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 07:38 PM

Pretty sure that is old inventory that they are still selling off.

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/24/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I love my quick ratio box and don't notice it being difficult to steer.If you compare it to power steering it will feel hard but If compared to a stock manual box there is not much difference.

they aregreat for steering its gettin in and out of parkin spots thatll wear ya out.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

www.speedwaymotors.com list a replacement manual 16:1 bolt in for A,B,E PN#910-32508 $450

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they aregreat for steering its gettin in and out of parkin spots thatll wear ya out.

sure,if you try to turn the wheel when aren't moving.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

www.speedwaymotors.com list a replacement manual 16:1 bolt in for A,B,E PN#910-32508 $450

Thats the Flaming River box, made in Argentina..
Well built..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK,OK so your big and strong,WE GET IT!

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 03:35 PM

I put an original 16:1 box into my '65 Coronet a few years back. It was waaay to stiff for me so I sold it to a guy with a SB powered A-body car. He also tried it for a bit and then sold it because it was way too stiff for him.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 04:10 PM

I've had a Firm Feel 20:1 box in my '66 Charger for years. It's not bad with the 215s on the front.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 04:33 PM

All I can do is relate more own experience. I have no explanation for this but it was no more difficult than a standard 24:1 box. I bought a 16:1 worm gear assembly from Firm Feel several years ago and installed it myself in an extra 24:1 box I had and installed it in a small block Duster with 15x7 aluminum wheels and 225x60 tires. Obviously not a real large tire, but still a good deal larger and wider than a stock 14 in. tire/wheel combo. Every power box I've seen has 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. the standard 24:1 manual were all over 6 turns. My 16:1 manual has right at 4 turns. As for gym memberships I am definitely NOT a Charles Atlas look alike and I am old to boot. Again I haven't any explanation for this but it was at least as easy as any of the standard boxes and it didn't wear you out with seemingly endless cranking. I know full well it should have been a real bear by theory and I was certainly expecting it to be that way. It just wasn't. I have power in the 'Cuda, but I still have the 16:1 box in my parts pile, just never know when I might use it.

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

All I can do is relate more own experience. I have no explanation for this but it was no more difficult than a standard 24:1 box. I bought a 16:1 worm gear assembly from Firm Feel several years ago and installed it myself in an extra 24:1 box I had and installed it in a small block Duster with 15x7 aluminum wheels and 225x60 tires. Obviously not a real large tire, but still a good deal larger and wider than a stock 14 in. tire/wheel combo. Every power box I've seen has 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. the standard 24:1 manual were all over 6 turns. My 16:1 manual has right at 4 turns. As for gym memberships I am definitely NOT a Charles Atlas look alike and I am old to boot. Again I haven't any explanation for this but it was at least as easy as any of the standard boxes and it didn't wear you out with seemingly endless cranking. I know full well it should have been a real bear by theory and I was certainly expecting it to be that way. It just wasn't. I have power in the 'Cuda, but I still have the 16:1 box in my parts pile, just never know when I might use it.

it must be all in the technique cause i sure couldnt get it.

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK,OK so your big and strong,WE GET IT!

That isn't my point,(insert insult here).
I was simply relaying my experience so others could create a fair opinion for themselves and not have a one sided view of things.That is the point of a forum.Also,I thought you may be having another problem so relaying my experiences might help you to look elsewhere.

Re: Firm Feel fast ratio manual steering boxes... - 07/25/11 08:20 PM

I changed my Coronet over to the 20:1 box after I sold the 16:1. The 20:1 seems like a good compromise. I have a big block car with 235/55-17 tires up front so they are a bit wider than stock.
© 2024 Moparts Forums