Moparts

02 Grand Caravan a/c ??

Posted By: 68SportSatvert

02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/23/11 03:14 AM

I was in traffic tonight and the a/c quit working. The clutch isn't cycling at all and I've checked the relay and fuse and both are fine. Any idea where to go from here before I take it to a shop? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/23/11 03:39 AM

I am no AC Xpert .. but if it is low on 134 ....it will do what has happened to you ...I THINK.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/23/11 04:12 AM

the systems has basical a 3 switchs, the one you turn it on with ,, after that it has a low side , which wont let it come on in the event its low on charge, and a high side, when pressure gets to high
thus the cycling you hear while the unit is running, if the system goes to what i call a high side pressure , meaning its high pressure all the time. but you will need gauges to see,
either one of those switches could be bad or there is no 12 volt going to the ac unit itself
Posted By: teflon

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/23/11 01:48 PM

Did the engine temp start to go hi? If the engine temp gets to a certain temp, the pcm will shut off the a/c compressor. Could be low on 134A. Does it have rear a/c? They were notorious for leaks at the rear evaporator/line area.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 01:34 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! After many trips to the auto parts stores I figured out what the problem is. It appears the shaft has broken off somewhere inside. I can turn the outer part of the clutch with my hand and could not do that on a new one at the store. I can also move that outer piece around. I found another clutch and looked at it off the compressor. Looks like a it's a new compressor and all that goes with it... to include a hefty bill
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 02:01 AM

I had to replace the A/C clutch on our 2005 Grand Caravan. It wouldn't grab anymore, wouldn't cycle. I would say to take the clutch apart and inspect it before buying anything.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 02:15 AM

Dave,
I'll take a look. The concern I have with mine is I can turn it and don't think I should be able to. Were you able to turn yours? Where did your break at? I WIL take your advice and pull it before I go further. Do I need any special tools to get the outer piece off? I know I need snap ring pliers and a puller to get the rest off. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 02:18 AM

You should be able to turn the outer Pulley part by hand easily, and the center should be harder to turn by hand but still do-able. If comp is okay.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 02:21 AM

HMMMM... When I had a new one on the counter at the parts store I could turn the pulley but not the outer piece. I'll take a look and let you know what I find. Thanks!

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/24/11 03:35 AM

SOLVED!!! I went out and took another look and it's definitely the clutch! There is an inner ring of rubber that debonded from the part that mounts to the compressor shaft. I could turn the compressor with a 3/8 ratchet and it's free and turns well. The outer part of the ring is engaging as it should but since the rubber has debonded it isn't connected to the inner ring that drives the compressor. I was able to find the clutch today so I'll get it tomorrow and install. I guess I have these crazy hot temps to blame... Thanks again everyone, especially Dave who convinced me I needed to take another look!

Re: 02 Grand Caravan a/c ?? - 07/26/11 02:36 AM

Went to the pull-it and got the outer piece off a Jeep. I did some research on AutoZone's website and it says the Jeep uses the same clutch as my Grand Caravan. Put on on and now I have a/c and it works good as new! Just thought I'd post the results. Hopefully it helps someone else.
© 2024 Moparts Forums