Moparts

440 "break in" timing question

Posted By: uh60lbhawk

440 "break in" timing question - 09/27/08 08:09 PM

I'm restoring (well, more like building it my way) a 69 charger. It's a cast crank 440. I have the right flex plate to use it with my 727 and unweighted torque convertor.

Also I have a 440 with the correct harmonic balancer now (thanks moparts forum!). I had the crank re-balanced, it was 60 grams off!

Now, what should the timing mark be at when I line up the distributor on #1, prior to the first start, and break-in? I am switching to an MSD 6AL controler during this engine change, will that have any effect on what the timing is set at?

It's sitiing right a tdc now, so moving it a little to the correct mark shouldn't wipe too much cam lube off (I was liberal with the lube ).

Also, any tips on the break-in would be appreciated. I have heard 20 minutes at 20 thousand rpm, I've heard 30 minutes, I've been told to run a special "break in" oil (I think it's a chevy thing though).

It's a mopar performance purple cam 274/274.

I'm open to any help.

Thanks,
Clint
Posted By: Saint Crispan

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/27/08 08:22 PM

20 thousand RPM!?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/27/08 09:06 PM

Quote:

20 thousand RPM!?

Posted By: codfish

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/27/08 09:15 PM

If you are sure you are at TDC, the timing pointer should be at the zero mark on the dampener, or VERY close. Then turn the distributor so that the rotor lines up with number one post on the cap. I just left it there before I fired my 440 for the first time, but was ready with a timing light to quickly put the timing where I wanted it, once the engine fired. I used 18* initial.

2000-2500 rpm for 20-25 minutes should be adequate for a flat tappit cam breakin. What are your cam specs? High spring pressures?

Oh, I just saw what cam you had.

I added GM EOS oil additive for my breakin. I will also be ading it to all oil changes too, I think. Only $8 a bottle.

codfish
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/27/08 11:37 PM

remove thermostat set initial at 5 or 10 before. one guy to man the timing light & turn the dist one guy to add trans fluid one guy to check underneath for leaks remove inner springs 20 to 30 minutes at ~2500 use an oil with plenty of zinc, a bottle of gm EOS have idle speed cranked up several accelerator pumps of gas to prime it for FAST startup & READ THIS "the breakin secrets" at www.mototuneusa.com
Posted By: uh60lbhawk

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/28/08 03:17 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, that was a typo, should have read 2 thousand rpm for 20 minutes....

Clint
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: 440 "break in" timing question - 09/28/08 03:12 PM

i usually fire it.. then immediately twist the dist advanced until the engine doesnt climb rpm anymore that way the engine doesnt get hot too quickly [you have all seen glowing pipes from retarded timing] and runs much cleaner dan
© 2024 Moparts Forums