Moparts

The BESTest street header ?

Posted By: dOoC

The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 12:45 AM

...you know ... nice thick flanges ... thicker tubes etc ... maybe even a powder coated option ..
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

...you know ... nice thick flanges ... thicker tubes etc ... maybe even a powder coated option ..

NO BONGS OR PIPES ALLOWED or sold on Moparts..DOC!!
C'mon now!!

Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 12:55 AM

Ummm.....small block? big block? A,B,C,E or motorhame chassis? Come on,you know better than to just post a open ended question like that! Or do you??
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 01:20 AM

Very open question. But you're pretty well off with TTI's regardless of the application.

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 01:42 AM

Come on guyz ...slidemesomeslack ....

ACTUALLY .. my need(down-the-road) is a B/E-body RB engine ... but I have a friend who needs a set for a A body A engine.

Way-back-when I remember a company buy the name of Appliance who make some HD pieces ...I think they were sold to Mr Gasket .. then .. ???

But they made some NICE pieces .. and it was WELL painted.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 01:46 AM

Hedman 78030.

Fits RB into B/E body chassis no fuss no muss and around $159.00

Drivers side in from top and passenger up from bottom.

As for coating, I like to sandblast and then coat with BBQ Black. Easy touch up and good heat resistance.

Attached picture 6737581-Enginecompartment.jpg

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 01:49 AM

HOW do you think they would fit on a Caravan ? ..

How are the flanges and tubes? Where is the best-shot to get them?

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 01:54 AM

Summit or Mancini Racing.

I bought this particular pair from Summit.

What about the flanges and tubes? Standard header fare.

I've had Walker Dynomax headers that looked very similar with similar flanges and never had a warpage problem after thousands of miles. E-body with 440.

383man was running these in his car IIRC before the recent transplant of the bigger mill and had nothing but good things to say.

A shot of the "Berri" just for you!

Attached picture 6737598-newfuelline.JPG
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:08 AM

Some of the Hedman's do come with a thicker flange, and look pretty good. I put a set on my El Camino, and am very pleased with them. I have found the key to not blowing out the gaskets, is to not use any. I have been installing them with just Hi Temp Silicone, with 100 % success !

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:18 AM

Quote:

A shot of the "Berri" just for you!

Damn gy ... that is a pretty Berri .. ... how did you get it all nice and shiny after that HORRIBLE fire you had last weak ?

HERE is a link ... the Summit headers have a thicker flange. And what is the diff between the two Hedman #'s ?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=Hedman%2078030&dds=1

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:20 AM

El CRAMminno ? ... Doc Mop ...no Chebby guys allowed here !

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:22 AM

At least I know the difference between the two headers you are looking at in Summit ! I.m not going to tell you that the cheaper one is only the passenger side................. DOH..................

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:27 AM

ONE SIDE ? .... WHAT kind of sense does that make ? .. OK .. they sell the pass side ....WHY NOT the dr side also ?

Who makes the Summit headers?

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:31 AM

They sell just the passenger side to catch a fool once in awhile, and the Summit brand is probably made by Red China ! Of course the Hedman's are most likely Mexico trade deficit models !

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

ONE SIDE ? .... WHAT kind of sense does that make ? .. OK .. they sell the pass side ....WHY NOT the dr side also ?

Who makes the Summit headers?

Not sure but that was what I was trying to buy the first time and Summit was out of stock but kept telling me "2 weeks".

After about 8 weeks I'd had enough and the substituted the Walker headers that were in stock for the same price.

Quote:

American-made Hedman Hedders have been helping racers unleash more power since 1954! Every set of headers Hedman makes is mandrel-bent for a consistent internal diameter and maximum flow, then flame-tested against leaks. For easy installation, they have unique ball socket collector flanges, which give you up to 20° of connection flexibility in case your pipes don’t match up perfectly. Hedders come with all the gaskets and hardware you need, plus instructions. All of Hedman’s Street Hedders are warranted for life, while Husler Hedders for racing have a 3-year limited warranty. Hedman also makes mufflers, exhaust tips, catalytic converters, tubing, and other exhaust parts to those same high standards of performance and quality.

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 02:38 AM

i see Summit claims their headers are made in the USA ! They must have imported the Chinese instead of the headers !
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 03:52 AM

actually I wouldn't fit ever headers on a street car, not longs at least... shorties would be an option, but never the long ones
Posted By: therocks

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 04:53 AM

I had Appliance headers.They were a good set except they had a 4 bolt square collector.Ran them on the 65 440 for years.I have a set that I pulled in the garage but I have no idea what brand.They fit pretty good in the 65.Then I went TTIs when they were CPPA.Thats a long time and they are still as strong as when I installed the.Just not as pretty.Rocky
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 05:25 AM

maybe you should consider...
The BESTest ENGLISH book.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 05:27 AM

Doug's are nice. These are small block A-body parts.

Attached picture 6738062-dougsp.jpg
Posted By: Red63440

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 09:41 AM

Doug's are nice but the Headman have thicker flanges and a heavyer gauge tube...

Attached picture 6738144-Engineside.JPG
Posted By: 67coronetman

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 08:52 PM

For my money i bought TTI best fitting headers i have ever had and no need to pull the motor at all.
Went right in wish i had bought them yrs ago now i do need them with my heads on my motor but i would still buy them period.!

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 09:50 PM

THX guys ....any header brand better for plug changing ? ....and maybe with angled plugs ?
Posted By: topside

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/20/11 11:43 PM

Angled plugs narrow the choices a bunch, as does increasing primary size from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" to 2". Lots of choices in 1 3/4" with straight plugs, as I suspect most were designed a long time ago for the OEM layout.
There's some good info in the Tech Archive - in the BB section, IIRC - including Summit's return rates on various brands & part #s.
Posted By: bri440

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 02:53 AM

I put Hedmans in a 71 Challenger w/ 440 and Edelbrock angled heads. Did not clear the stock power steering unit without some banging. Also had to dimple to clear the drivers torsion bar. Had to dimple one of the passenger pipes to get a standard length spark pug in (#6 I think). Never been a big fan of the ball/socket outlet instead of a flange, but they seem to seal ok.

Good Luck
Posted By: 383man

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 09:47 PM

I have had Hedman and TTI's on my 63 bigblock. These are the Hedman 1-3/4 tubes. Nice flanges about 3/16 thick. These are the Elite headers which are nice. Ron

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 09:51 PM

These are 2" TTI's. 1/4" thick flanges and much better header all around. In fact TTI's are the best header I have ever used. Ron

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 09:53 PM

Better pic of flange. The Hedman's. Ron

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 09:56 PM

The TTI's. The TTI's have a thicker flange and are a better header but dont get me wrong as the Hedman's worked fine for me. The Hedman's were on my 63 for 5 years and never leaked or blew a gasket out. Ron

Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: The BESTest street header ? - 07/21/11 09:56 PM

Quote:

TTI's are the best header I have ever used.

© 2024 Moparts Forums