Moparts

E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best

Posted By: holtzdog55

E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 02:45 PM

Just after some opinions on After market Air for e-bodies. Who has installed a system or kit and who was the manufacturer. Was it an easy or tough install????

Just doing some homework before I decide.....

Thanks Moparts,
Tony
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 08:48 PM

I have Bouchlin Performace stuff on both of my cars that are running. It's all stock behind the firewall and they supplied everything forword of the firewall. Small 134 compressor,condenssor and all hoses with ends. BTW I have a bubble crimper to make AC lines if you need help making your hoses when the time comes. JR is who answered my questions and both systems work good. I also got all the pulleys from them for my BB and everything fit the fit time.
If your trying to decide if you want AC? Yes you do. I can help you set it up and I have a 134 machine to charge it.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 10:05 PM

Alot of questions come up......

Originally non-air car heater box only.

Classic Auto Air which I was thinking about makes a kit that fits e-bodies and doesnt use original heater box, so I wouldn't have to redo it...kit goes for $1299 everything included lines/heater core/condensor/etc/etc.

http://www.classicautoair.com/EBody7074.asp

Would this be the way to go?

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 10:25 PM

Yup that looks good. I lot of work would need to be done on the inside that way. I wonder if getting a stock AC dash and controls would be easier? But then I'm not sure about the firewall opening if you tried to use a stock setup inside and you don't have a AC box either. I'm sure it would rock, but would be a challenge to put in.(I'm talking dash) I think they are only one of a couple choices out there with a kit that detailed for a E body.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 10:34 PM

I talked to one of the guys in Texas and he said it can be done easily in a weekend....they will do it in 1/2 day for 1,350.00....ha, ha!

Was just trying to see if anyone here did one on their own and how it went...hopefully someone will come forward with a story....

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 10:46 PM

Quote:

I talked to one of the guys in Texas and he said it can be done easily in a weekend....they will do it in 1/2 day for 1,350.00....ha, ha!

Was just trying to see if anyone here did one on their own and how it went...hopefully someone will come forward with a story....

I'm sure someone around here has done it and will speak up.

$1350. for complete install and 134 charge,belts,pulleys,wiring and running ready to use is a pretty fair deal, if you ask me.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/26/08 10:49 PM

I did it in an early b. So I had to use the universal kit. Plus I made it harder and had a poly 318.

It took 2 weekends to do it.
Got everything mocked up in the engine compartment, and took it to a local shop to cut and crimp the lines.
Then had a plate welded to bolt the new box to, with studs that bolted where the orignal heater box bolted to.

I did not use the stock controls. I removed them and put in the electric controls, so I don't know how hard it is to get the stock heater controls working. I do know that it is backwards. Heat on the slider is for cold and cold is for heat, so I opted for the electric controls.

The hardest part for me was getting the compressor lined up, but for an engine they make the kit for, it should be a bolt in.
They supply a pulley that bolts infront of the crank pulley, and everything runs belts to that.

It would be nicer if you could find an a/c donor motor for all the brackets and pulleys so you don't have to use much of their motor mounting stuff and make it cleaner looking, but you do need their plate(at least sb wise) for it to bolt to.

Inside I image the a/c box is the same, just mounting hardware is different.
It is a lot smaller than the 66 and up a/c boxes. It was smaller than the 65 heater only box, and that is about half the size of the 66 and up a/c box.

There are several people that found a/c dashes and mounted stuff to it. I chose just to hang the vents under the dash.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/27/08 02:17 AM

Thats 1350.00 Plus the cost of the kit 1299.00

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/27/08 02:47 AM

Quote:

Thats 1350.00 Plus the cost of the kit 1299.00

I know... If you drove into their shop with a non AC running car and they took out the dash and cut and fit AC vents a and run the duckwork. Then then would replace and fit the new box run all the electric/cables. Then put it all back togeather is alot of work right there in the interior alone.

I know yours is apart and it's not the same thing as above, really when you think about counting all the work up front too. 1350 aint bad labor charges which includes freon and belts and stuff like that.

Good luck with your car, we got hookup one of these days.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 04:33 PM

Another question.....
Do I have a Heater only box or an A/C box???
How can you tell the difference??
The reason I'm asking is when I took it apart there is a large foam piece that isnt in the kit I got from Detroit Muscle.....

Attached picture 4715707-box2.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 04:33 PM

another pic...

Attached picture 4715708-box3.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 04:34 PM

last one...

Just checked and this is in the A/C foam kit....I guess the guy I got it frrom couple years ago was going to put A/C in too....so now the question is should I keep this and go for putting stock A/C parts in the interior and then getting someone to add the exterior stuff later??? Cost Difference etc.???

Attached picture 4715710-Box1.jpg
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 04:54 PM

it is about an even split in the price you saw.
for the 1200 dollar kit from classic air, about 600 is interior, the rest is engine compartment stuff.
If you put new stuff inside, then anyone can add the outside stuff later.

The catch is the stock stuff doesn't fit your firewall.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 04:58 PM

It's a AC box with the evaparator missing. Reg heat boxes are cable controled and AC boxes are vacuum.
Your'll have to change some stuff on the firewall if your gonna use it. I'm thinking you'll be better off using the kit since it's designed for a non AC firewall car.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 05:38 PM

Thanks for the quick advice....This is what was in the car??? Did fix a couple cracks in the casing so good a new now.....
Tony
aholtzapple@cinci.rr.com
513-543-6809

Attached picture 4715828-c3.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 05:43 PM

inside....

Attached picture 4715836-c35.jpg
Posted By: BDW

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 06:11 PM

That is a A/C firewall

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/28/08 06:28 PM

Quote:

If anyone is interested in this A/C box(was going to put in new foam but got the wrong kit), Let me know or make an offer.

It looks like you got to keep it now, to go with your AC equipped firewall car.

For sale ads are frowned upon in Q&A.

"Polar Bear" is where I found a new evaparator for my challenger AC box. FYI
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 06:43 PM

that is an AC firewall & you have an AC box. Just bolt it up, problem solved.

Check the vacuum pods before installation. Mine leak at the shaft seal.

Unfortunately no one makes a modern AC conversion kit for cars that already have AC. I'd love to have electronic actuated air blend doors instead of leaky shaft seals.

Next step for you is to determine what you want underhood. engine/carb combo could affect this decision.

Do you want V belts or serpentine?

Do you want factory V compressor or Sanden?

After figuring that out you just need to check if your missing any pieces, find them, and bolt it all together.

Do you plan on using a rallye dash?

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 06:44 PM

Quote:

Wow! that's good info. Those are hard to come by.

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 07:15 PM

Guess it pays to know what the heck you are working with ....Didnt think this was an A/C car since the dash didnt have any A/C vents?????

Guess I'll need an A/C dash, allthe vents etc, and A/C controls and bezel....

It did have a rallye dash(vin says it was a rallye car). It also had the rallye A/C bezel but with a NON-Rallye switch in it....done sold all that and now have the heater control....
Always something to mess with....more money!!!!! 440 4 barrel 750 holley?? Brother is the car guy putting things together.....I really dont know too much but learning alot over the last 2 years!!!!

Attached picture 4715978-DSC01146.JPG

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 08:48 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complete systems, or individual parts. Classic Auto Air can rebuild nearly any air conditioning part from your 1950's through 1970's Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler!

Compressors & Clutches
Compressor Conversion Kits
Condensers
MOPAR Sanden Conversion Kits
Evaporator and Heater Plenums
Evaporators
Expansion Valves
Filter-Driers
Heater Control Valves
Heater Core
Hoses & Lines
CALL US IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE SERVICE OR PART YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!

I'll have to call these guys and check to see what it costs to restore to original....to be continued....
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tav

Who or where is "Polar Bear"? Web site?
I too need a evap. core

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tav

I too need a evap. core

web page

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 09:18 PM

we will have to hook up sometime....would you happen to have pics of how the A/C box looks with the evaporator and whatever else I'm missing.....I'll save the link to Polar Bear....

Thanks,
Tony

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 09:33 PM

Evidence that my car came from somewhere that had red soil....Mars?

Tumbled them clean.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 09:39 PM

great pics....Did you redo the box yourself???

where did you get the large piece of insulation that goes on ,I guess the front??

Attached picture 4716196-box1.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 10:01 PM

Yes I redid two different boxes in the last couple years. There's firewall insulation kits and interior kits and cowel insulation available.There's a ton of places that sell it, look for a Moparts sponsor.

When I did the box/car in 05 I reused all the black rubber gaskets and made ones for the doors out of the foil isulation which I used throughout the car too. The second one I did I got 71TAs gaskets(the detailed instructions scared me.lol)
It's a great kit though.

Cowel insulation.

Posted By: miketyler

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/28/08 11:40 PM

Wow Challenger 1 - I thought I was the only one running Sanden with dual belts. Mine was all custom as I dont believe Bouchillion had a kit like that when I needed it.

Mine is all stock inside, all custom AC from the firewall forward. Rebuilt my airbox and everything.

Looks good!

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 12:24 AM

Quote:

As rust free as that car is, I'd guess Arizona.

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 12:50 AM

What year is your car? Does it have H51 on the fender tag? (that's the code for AC) Does the VIN on your dash pad match the one on the fender tag? If your original dash pad has been swapped out for another one, it's a really good idea to check and make sure you have the right VIN on there. Compare with radiator support # & cowl #.

If you'd like to post your fender tag info, we can do a complete decode for you and you'll then know for sure what you're working with.

I've changed a NON-AC car into an AC car before using all factory parts. It's a lot of work, but can be done.

The windshield defogger ductwork is different for AC cars, so test fit yours with the AC box installed to see what you've got.

If you're going to run a rallye dash, you'll need a rallye dash AC control. That might be a tough find.

you'll need an AC dash pad, right & left AC ducting, and AC vents. There are some small differences in the AC vents (width of white stripe, ridges on directional adjuster tab, rubber flap to close vent) you might want to make sure you get a matching set.

AC cars also had a long skinny plastic trim piece that mounts to the bottom of the dash frame to help hide the AC box from sight. It's not necessary if you don't want it, but it would have had one originally.

You mentioned the car was a rallye. That would make it a 72-74 challenger. Since those cars didn't come with 440 4 barrels, I'm guessing you're going for a custom thing, not an all original look. If that's the case, I'd reccomend the Sanden compressor over the stock unit. The Sanden takes 9 times less horsepower to operate. Whether you use V or serpentine belts is still up to you.

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As rust free as that car is, I'd guess Arizona.

Tav

I'd bet your right as it is a N95 car.

Miketyler, Back in 05 I ordered up everything that was needed up front for a BB including pulleys, they sent everything and it fit perfect the first time. I don't think I asked for dual belts, but thats how it came? It fits under my shaker too.
Seriously your car looks killer! Very nice. Sure is nice cruising with AC isn't it.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 03:54 AM

No fender tag....supposed to be a 72 rallye
JS23G2B42.... vin on the dash same as title???? I'll have to have my brother check on the cowl and radiator support as you suggested.
Funny that it's an A/C Firewall...and the Dash didnt have any vents in it??? thinking someone put a different dash in it and just used that vin for a title....is that legal?? Title says "Rebuilt Salvage"????

Basically just want to have a really nice drivable Challenger....nothing special like #'s matching etc.

This was according to the vin a 318 4 speed(now auto) car....no big deal.
My brother has a few Cuda's he races and drives...so he put together the 440 in the pic awaiting to go in after the body work is done....could be awhile....thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Think I'll eventually go the same route Challenger1 did....

Attached picture 4716990-DCP_2122.JPG

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 05:12 AM

That VIN is for a 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye hardtop with 318 engine built at Hamtramck. The VIN does NOT specify transmission type.

It doesn't really matter what the title says. Titles are easy to get with a title service through the mail for any VIN # you can dream up and write down.

I think your supposed to have matching #'s on the car in 3 places. Your options are...
VIN plate on dash
fender tag on inner fender
door sticker on drivers door
radiator support #
cowl #
engine #
transmission #

You should Definitely check into this before spending a lot of money on the car!
Do you have the original transmission or door sticker?

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 12:47 PM

the only thing that should be original is the cowl and radiator support.

So what happens if they don't match???

I'm trying not to spend a fortune.....just want a nice ride. so far probably 15-20K

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/29/08 10:43 PM

Numbers on Vin tag on dash and #'s on radiator support match!!

So....I wonder why the dash wasnt an A/C dash since it was an A/C firewall??
Posted By: miketyler

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 12:00 AM

I would think if you shop hard, and use the original inside cabin equipment and replace the parts forward of the fireall you could get out for around $600 or maybe even less.

I got my polished Sanden on Ebay for $150, the VintageAire universal line kit with all hose nd connections and dryer for $100, a new 26" tru-flow condensor for $60, maybe $50-$60 or so for some ready-to-bend aluminum lines, $30 expansion valve, a NOS AC selector/controller for $40 and I cant remember what I paid for the clutch switch (<$100). I did spend quite a few hours making up the compressor brackets.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 12:56 PM

Quote:

Numbers on Vin tag on dash and #'s on radiator support match!!

So....I wonder why the dash wasnt an A/C dash since it was an A/C firewall??

Good to hear you've got the right VIN on your dash for the car. Someone probably got a good deal on that non AC dashpad and swapped it in.

Tav
Posted By: jbc426

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/30/08 03:55 PM

Has anyone tried the Bouchlin Performace brakets that mount the compressor down below the alternator, effectively hiding most visual evidence of the A/C installation in the engine compartment?

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's best - 09/30/08 04:02 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the Bouchlin Performace brakets that mount the compressor down below the alternator, effectively hiding most visual evidence of the A/C installation in the engine compartment?

No I haven't, Bouchilin tells me you can't use a mech fuel pump with the low mount.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tav

I too need a evap. core

There's been some confusion as to the right part# So I found my invoice dated 6-20-07 Invoice# 445997 Item# is 610-7975 So if Gretchen @Polar Bear has trouble finding the right core for you, this should clear things up. Looks like this one fits at least 71 B & E bodys from what I can tell.

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 06:50 PM

stock E body evaporators should be the same 70-74.

I've used a below the alternator mounted Sanden compressor on my AAR, but it's not from bouchillon, it's from a guy I met at a show. Yes, I had to switch to an electric fuel pump.

Tav

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 07:02 PM

There's been some confusion as to the right part# So I found my invoice dated 6-20-07 Invoice# 445997 Item# is 610-7975 So if Gretchen @Polar Bear has trouble finding the right core for you, this should clear things up. Looks like this one fits at least 71 B & E bodys from what I can tell.

Just spoke with Gretchen. She found info, does not have in stock and checking to see if/when they can get them. I will let you know when she gets back with me.
She sent me a pic: here it is.....

Attached picture 4720375-EV7975.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 07:11 PM

They have them on ebay for $225..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71-72-...emZ180292694933

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 09/30/08 10:16 PM

Quote:

Just spoke with Gretchen. She found info, does not have in stock and checking to see if/when they can get them. I will let you know when she gets back with me.
She sent me a pic: here it is.....

Got this from Gretchen:

Hello Tony;

I just heard from the warehouse. They don't have any in stock, and they are no longer made by the normal supplier.

I will continue to look tomorrow. If you find one, please let me know

Thank you
Gretchen

So....if anyone knows where to get one let me know....other than ebay....theirs is 225..should be able to get it a bit cheaper. If not I guess ebay will have to do!!

Attached picture 4720788-EV7975.jpg

Re: E-body After market Air, Ease of Install & who's - 10/01/08 02:35 PM

Would anyone have some pics of the VENT TUBES that I will need??? I just bought one on Ebay but want to make sure of what I really need.....how many vent tubes are there?? 3? 4?

Thanks again.....

Tony
© 2024 Moparts Forums