Moparts

Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it?

Posted By: Burkenator

Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/08/11 08:52 PM

I got a nice coil of 3/8" galvanized tubing from Summit Racing. Man, this stuff is stiff!! Just curious if there are any tips to straightening it out before I bend it to match (I hope) my existing fuel line. Any help would be appreciated.

Burke
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/08/11 09:00 PM

the easiest way i have found is to slowly stretch it out across your driveway or similar surface and little by little roll the curves out
Posted By: therocks

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/08/11 09:26 PM

I agree.Guy I worked with laid it on the floor and walked if flat.NAPA did sell an easy bend steel line.I went aluminum on my street car.10 years so far and no problems.Rocky
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/09/11 01:12 AM

rollit out flat on the floor and use something round and the right size to help make the bends

i have used a propane torch bottle and i have used wp pulleys to get nice rounded bends,have gone as small as a broom handle for small bends and coils at the ends

i went alum line on mine and ran 1/2" feed with a 3/8" return to the cell,with a short piece to the carb.

I used fex braid line at the ends and alum line down the frame rail

i also ran the alum line thru some foam insulation down the frame rail

good luck and take your time bending it up
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/09/11 04:16 AM

I thought I heard some trick about drilling a hole in a 2x4, then pulling the line through it.

I haven't done it, but seems like it might work, at least for the smaller stuff.
Posted By: Burkenator

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/10/11 04:20 PM

I ended up walking it out on the garage floor. Worked pretty well. Thanks for the help!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Straightening fuel line/tubing...How do you do it? - 07/10/11 10:20 PM

At work we fold one end of the tubing over and attach to a come-along, we attach the other end of the come along to building steel The other end of the unspooled tubing we clamp in a vice. We then come-along it tight and just put a tiny amount of tension/stretch on it and cut off the ends. Ruler straight. We find it easier to buy 20' lengths of tubing versus the rolls. Also buy yourself a tubing bender and don't dick around using anything else.
© 2024 Moparts Forums