Moparts

'66 Charger Electro Luminance Gauge Question........

Posted By: oldsklharo

'66 Charger Electro Luminance Gauge Question........ - 07/05/11 02:10 PM

I am building a '66 Coronet 500 Convertible and have been tossing around the idea of putting in a '66-'67 Charger Electro Luminance Dash Gauge/Cluster.

I need a cluster/bezel anyway and have always loved the Charger set up.

My question is: Will it drop it and mount with out a lot of modification? Looks like the same dash? I understand the wiring will need to be changed/added. Any info would be much appreciated!

Thank you, Mike
Posted By: therocks

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 03:35 PM

I think they are pretty close.One problem is finding a decent dash.They are pricey.My kid sold his for 700 and it was like new.That and the dash uses a power pak for the lights.It kicks voltage up to 110.Rocky
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 04:11 PM

The electro luminance dashes of the 66/67 Chargers are kool looking but are not reliable and big $ to repair..
I would stay kleer..

Just my $0.02..

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 04:16 PM

Nice, thanks for the input guys........ I found an after market power pack for cheap that is much more reliable than the OG ones

Any other input? Has anyone ever done this before with minimal issues?
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Nice, thanks for the input guys........ I found an after market power pack for cheap that is much more reliable than the OG ones

Any other input? Has anyone ever done this before with minimal issues?

I think it was in a Charger, but a member poted pics of his restored/updated(?) electroluminescent cluster a few months ago. Try a search as it may turn up the post.
Posted By: therocks

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 09:43 PM

The dashes thenselves arent a problem.The power pack is the biggest thing to go.My kids 62 300 still works like new.The needles will fade also and not really glow like they should.
The Charger we had to replace the PP.I bought 2 NOS ones that were at dealers about 10 years ago.I still have one as a spare.Rocky
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 09:44 PM

Quote:

I think they are pretty close.One problem is finding a decent dash.They are pricey.My kid sold his for 700 and it was like new.That and the dash uses a power pak for the lights.It kicks voltage up to 110.Rocky

230v. Don't zap yourself. Use a Charger harness,,, the powerpak can be modernized/updated,,grounds need to be good,, worst part is the needles ,, they can be all redone now.
Pretty decent system, I've found...

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/05/11 10:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

230v. Don't zap yourself. Use a Charger harness,,, the powerpak can be modernized/updated,,grounds need to be good,, worst part is the needles ,, they can be all redone now.
Pretty decent system, I've found...

LOL....I work around electricity for a living so I will be careful!

I have found a new aftermarket power pack so I will go with one of those.

Looks like my Coronet is getting an Electro Luminance gauge cluster!
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: '66 Charger Gauge Cluster Question................. - 07/06/11 02:17 AM

Found it. 'twas member Jeremiah:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6637131
Posted By: 21966mopars

Re: '66 Charger Electro Luminance Gauge Question........ - 07/07/11 01:18 AM

If you are still looking I saw a cluster for $300 in the Detroit metro craigslist recently.The updated powerpack is $79 on ebay.
© 2024 Moparts Forums