Moparts

Fuel Tank Problem

Posted By: cornet684me

Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 06:04 PM

i just got back from a drive in my 68'coronet, i stopped in my driveway and laid the car on the floor and spun down my driveway i hit the brakes hard then drove into my garage, i noticed a small gas spot on the concrete right under where the vent tubes are on my gas tank, i am guessing when i hit my brakes hard and forced all the gas to the front of the tank caused this, is this normal? or is something wrong with my gas line vent tube?

Posted By: Neil

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 06:28 PM

Maybe the vent tubes are dry rotted and have cracks in them?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe the vent tubes are dry rotted and have cracks in them?

or the piece of rubber line that connects the steel fuel line to the tank sending unit

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 07:32 PM

the vent lines are all new, all the rubber lines are new with new clamps, is there a way to hook up the vent tubes wrong?

the leak is on the driver's side where the vent lines are connected

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 07:39 PM

not really as long as you used the right sized hose. you might want to jack up the back of the car and look for drips. or fill it up ouch!!

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 07:47 PM

what is strange, i have been working on the car for over 4years, never had the problem before, it is only doing this when i get on the car hard and then hit the brakes hard to stop it before going into the garage, all the gas is being forced to the front of the tank.

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 07:51 PM

maybe what it's doing is coming out the filler tube area and running along the outside of the tank to the back.

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 10:15 PM

i did not think about that, i guess i will get out there and get on it in the driveway and then jack up to see where it is coming from,

you might be on to something, i did take the fuel tank back out about 3 or 4months ago and reinstalled , how does the filler tube seal?

thanks

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 10:24 PM

if memory serves, it's stuffed into a large grommet and the tube is secured to the backside of either the cross memger or the bumper.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 11:27 PM

Quote:

if memory serves, it's stuffed into a large grommet and the tube is secured to the backside of either the cross memger or the bumper.

yup and those grommets are big sellers...

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 11:32 PM

update: i have found were it is leaking from, it is leaking from the small vent tube, there are 2 vent holes in the tank, 1 is connected to a short piece of vent pipe about 8inches long and the end of it is just open, when i hit my brakes hard the gas comes out this vent tube and runs down my frame and tank

the other hose is connected to another vent tube that is run inside the trunk compartment.

is this vent tube suppose to be connected to something else and when i took out the tank i did not hook it back up right?

Attached picture 6701164-resize1.jpg

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/26/11 11:53 PM

how do i fix this?

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 12:33 AM

1 attaches to the line going into the trunk. the other attaches to a small line that i believe should be held to the frame x-member.

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 01:43 AM

do i need to make the short piece of vent pipe longer? never had a problem before?

do you think i need to switch the lines that i have hooked up now and switch them?

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 02:49 AM

the only thing i did change, i went from a steel 5/16 gas line to 3/8 aluminum line, could this change something?
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 03:23 AM

Route the vent as high as possible. Had the same problem with a near-full tank.

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 05:00 AM

so from the pic. do you think i do not have the vent tube far enough up?

Re: Fuel Tank Problem - 06/27/11 11:26 PM

i can't tell from the pic. the short vent line is attached to the rear shock x-member and should be higher than the tank.
© 2024 Moparts Forums