Moparts

A-body Console question

Posted By: Mad_Scientist

A-body Console question - 06/23/11 08:05 PM

Are the housings the same on all 67-69 A-body consoles, or is the 4 speed different? Can you just replace the top plate on an auto console with a 4 speed one and bolt it in the car?
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: A-body Console question - 06/23/11 08:52 PM

The auto console body can be cut to work with the 4-speed.

Dan

Re: A-body Console question - 06/23/11 10:45 PM

Quote:

The auto console body can be cut to work with the 4-speed.

Dan

I have been looking at some pics of the 4 spd one online, and I see the cut out in some pics. What covers the cut out area on the 4 spd console? Is the plastic base difficult to cut out to make the auto console into the 4 spd one?

Thanks,
Tim
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: A-body Console question - 06/24/11 02:14 AM

It is difficult to get it right. There is a cardboard cover that has the carpet glued to it and a special clip that holds it on. There was someone on eBay that was selling a fiberglass reproduction of the cover at one time and still may be selling it. I have several consoles and can take pictures if you like.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: A-body Console question - 06/24/11 06:25 AM

The 66 four speed console didn't have the big cutout like the 67-69. I don't really think it was necessary.
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: A-body Console question - 06/24/11 06:00 PM

if i have time this weekend I'll send you a few pics

Re: A-body Console question - 06/24/11 06:11 PM

What function does the cutout serve? Does it allow the shifter to clear or something?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: A-body Console question - 06/24/11 11:35 PM

Yes, the shifter is too far to the left and the handles have a 3-1/2" rod that spaces the handle to the right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums