Moparts

Short-block Stuck! Help!

Posted By: Stewpar

Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/16/11 10:12 PM

I can't get my short-block to turn over. What's the best product to pour down the cylinders to try and "Free" them up? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance..............
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 01:43 PM

Is it in or out of the car ? heads on or off ? I had good results with PB blaster and a brass hammer on a 400 without heads .

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 01:55 PM

Quote:

Is it in or out of the car ? heads on or off ? I had good results with PB blaster and a brass hammer on a 400 without heads .

Out of the car on an engine dolly with the heads off.

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 02:00 PM

Are you trying to save the pistons ?

First I took a wire wheel on a drill and cleaned the cylinders above the pistons as best I could , then I tipped it so one cylinder bank was up and sprayed in the PB and let it sit for a day or 2 , did the same thing to the other side. Then I hit the tops of the pistons then worked the crank back and forth with breaker bar and a cheater pipe ( i have a socket that goes over the crank snout after you pull the balancer) , hit pistons again , sprayed in more PB , rinse and repeat, got it to eventually turn completely over after about a 1/2 hour of this .

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

First I took a wire wheel on a drill and cleaned the cylinders above the pistons as best I could , then I tipped it so one cylinder bank was up and sprayed in the PB and let it sit for a day or 2 , did the same thing to the other side. Then I hit the tops of the pistons then worked the crank back and forth with breaker bar and a cheater pipe ( i have a socket that goes over the crank snout after you pull the balancer) , hit pistons again , sprayed in more PB , rinse and repeat, got it to eventually turn completely over after about a 1/2 hour of this .

Yes, motor was completely rebuilt and never fired about 10-15 years ago. It turned over last summer, but sat W/O the heads on the motor all winter long. I will give your idea a shot and see what happens, thanks!
Posted By: uponblocks

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 03:30 PM

I know it is dangerous but gasoline has worked for me with a 360 short block..
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 04:47 PM

brake fluid...just clean it down when your done .... i dont even use wd40 or pb blaster on anything any more...just brake fluid.

unless there is paint or surface finish you don't want to screw up, brake fluid will free up just about anything.

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, motor was completely rebuilt and never fired about 10-15 years ago. It turned over last summer, but sat W/O the heads on the motor all winter long. I will give your idea a shot and see what happens, thanks!

In this case don't use my method , especially hitting the pistons, instead of PB blaster use some kerosene , get oil in it after you get it unstuck. Also make sure it's not dry bearings holding it stuck
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 05:53 PM

Diesel/fuel oil also works very well. Lotsa detergent and the oil frees up the crud.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/17/11 07:12 PM

Miracle Mystery Oil and Diet Coke has always worked for me.

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/20/11 12:46 AM

Alright, I used a dentist tool to scrape all around the piston edge to get the gunk out. Then I sprayed Kroil all around over the last two days. Used a short 2x4 and tapped each piston a few times throughout both days. Put a 4 ft. pipe over my breaker bar, and she still won't budge???? What am I missing here............
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/20/11 12:48 AM

Rubbing alcohol will also work. Sounds crazy but sometimes.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/20/11 01:45 AM

I use a concoction of diesel, ATF & WD40. I sometimes wonder myself if the WD40 does anything, but I've unstuck several engines now using my goop. I've always had to do this with heads ON, so hose the cylinders down with WD40. Next, equal parts diesel and ATF into each hole.

Usually takes 3 days to work it's magic. If it's stuck rings, it'll work. If the cylinder is rusty, it's rebuild time.

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/20/11 02:50 AM

Engine was re-built back in the mid 90's and sat. When I removed the heads, there was some rust dust that got into the cylinders upon removal. The cylinder walls are excellent?

Re: Short-block Stuck! Help! - 06/20/11 01:46 PM

Did you pull any of the rod or main caps? Depending on the type of assembly lube used it could have solidified, had that happen with engine oil believe it or not.

I haven't had the luck others claim using kroil.
© 2024 Moparts Forums