Moparts

Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's

Posted By: daytonadave2010

Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/15/11 04:57 PM

I'm looking to put the Hotchkis kit under a '73 Challenger. I was thinking of using PST torsion bars and 2" dropped spindles. Also, the lower control arms from CAP. Will there be any issue with using the combination of all these parts? It doesn't seem like the Hotchkis kit comes with LCA's or spindles.

Thanks!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/15/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

I'm looking to put the Hotchkis kit under a '73 Challenger. I was thinking of using PST torsion bars and 2" dropped spindles. Also, the lower control arms from CAP. Will there be any issue with using the combination of all these parts? It doesn't seem like the Hotchkis kit comes with LCA's or spindles.

Thanks!

As long as the CAP lca put the sway bar connection in the same exact place the factory one is and same for the strut rod. Shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't spend the money on the CAP lca. But if you are trying to achieve a custom look under the car, they do look custom.

It doesn't come with tubular LCA and dropped spindles because there aren't performance gains made there. The dropped spindle is more a thing neccessary to what ride height and tire diameter an individual car is running.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/15/11 06:33 PM

The rule of thumb is that the more aftermarket parts used the higher the odds that it won't work.

The dropped knuckles move a lot of parts around so it is common to have issues. The lower ball joint will interfere with the back of the rim, the brake calipers are in a different location, etc. The adjusting flats on the aftermarket torsion bars might be in a different location so then the LCA sits differently, etc.
Posted By: blown340

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/15/11 06:43 PM

Doesn't the full hotchkis kit already come with torsion bars that are matched to the shocks?

-Jon
Posted By: daytonadave2010

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/16/11 07:41 PM

Thanks for the help. Hotchkis just came out with the torsion bars and they don't come with the kit. They are pricey too at $429. I was going to go with PST's or Just Suspension pieces since they are cheaper and they are really stiff. Not looking to autocross the car but I want the correct stance and modern handling without going with the alter-k-tion price.
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/16/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

Doesn't the full hotchkis kit already come with torsion bars that are matched to the shocks?

-Jon

Jon – Since people choose different torsion bars depending on their plans for the car, they’ll stay a separate purchase for now.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/28/11 05:38 PM

Quote:

Not looking to autocross the car but I want the correct stance and modern handling without going with the alter-k-tion price.

You can get that with the Hotchkis kit and PST t-bars. No need for the CAP lowers and drop spindles.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Hotchkis / spindles / LCA's - 06/29/11 01:35 AM

Quote:

The rule of thumb is that the more aftermarket parts used the higher the odds that it won't work.

The dropped knuckles move a lot of parts around so it is common to have issues. The lower ball joint will interfere with the back of the rim, the brake calipers are in a different location, etc. The adjusting flats on the aftermarket torsion bars might be in a different location so then the LCA sits differently, etc.

agree 100% .... you can also get a plate to reinforce the lca's and it will be just as good or better than aftermarket lca's

not to detour the thread, but what did they run in nascar back in the day?
© 2024 Moparts Forums