Moparts

8.75 axle seals

Posted By: ERAT340

8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 08:03 PM

Hi. Im replacing axle bearings in my 8.75 does anyone know which direction the outer seals face in the adjuster/retainer?
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 08:07 PM

The undercut should face the inside (lip points in)

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 08:27 PM

seal spring to inside,pack the back side of the seal with some greese to help keep the spring from poping off whale you them into place.

sink them to the lip of the axle tube so they are in far enuff.

good luck

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 08:50 PM

Thank you much guys!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 10:36 PM

Quote:

sink them to the lip of the axle tube so they are in far enuff.

good luck

Unless you are replacing the bearings the outer seals in the retainers are rarely messed with, they are mostly a dust and seal, keeping brake and road dust out of the seal are. worry mostly about the inner seals in the axle tube. When installing them making sure that they are in square install into the tube to the little step lip in the tube. They will stop when in far enough.
Make sure that you clean, inspect and repack the bearings with a good grease before reassembly, this is the only lubrication that they should get. They are not lubricated from the rear end lube.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/14/11 10:48 PM

OH! I was thinking the axle seals

you mean the thin dust seals on the retainer and backing plate...DOOHH!!!

should have paid more attention to what i was reading before typeing

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/15/11 12:00 AM

I should have added to my above post is that if he is leaking grease/oil into the brake area it is due to inner seal leakage - not out seal leakage. The lube should not be getting from the rear to the bearing area.

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/15/11 01:57 AM

Actually, Im replacing my E body rear with a B body axles and housing I picked up on a farm.I had to cut and press out old damaged Green bearings, pressed in new taper units with used retainers. I packed with some high dollar bearing grease.Job went very well, it helps to have a massive press at work!

Re: 8.75 axle seals - 06/15/11 02:17 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums