Moparts

narrowing d60

Posted By: 68notch

narrowing d60 - 06/10/11 07:23 PM

got a 60 out of a chev 1 ton for a 68 barracuda , for welding on my ends , was wondering why i cant bolt in the carrier and use an axle to line up the end im going to weld , square off the flange ( done this by the thousands , oil patch )and if its square and the axle spins free and is straight it should be as good as it gets or am i missing something thanks guys

Attached picture 6676219-reardiff001.JPG
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/10/11 09:40 PM

There's some side play in the axle splines when plugged into the carrier allowing the outer end of the axle shaft to move quite a bit up/down/sideways. Not good for alignment, only a bar installed through the carrier bearings will insure alignment.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/10/11 10:34 PM

Send it to dutchman, he will install the ends and supply lifetime moly shafts for around 600.00 and it will be dead nuts on. Also look into installiing the dana 70 power lock, it gives you 35 splines and 10.5" ring gear. Makes the axle bullet proof. Its only 150.00 more than rebuilding the stock 60. The correct fixtures to weld on the ends are around $350.00 The ends are about $250.00 and moly shafts are around $400.00 http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ Tim

Quote:

got a 60 out of a chev 1 ton for a 68 barracuda , for welding on my ends , was wondering why i cant bolt in the carrier and use an axle to line up the end im going to weld , square off the flange ( done this by the thousands , oil patch )and if its square and the axle spins free and is straight it should be as good as it gets or am i missing something thanks guys

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

There's some side play in the axle splines when plugged into the carrier allowing the outer end of the axle shaft to move quite a bit up/down/sideways. Not good for alignment, only a bar installed through the carrier bearings will insure alignment.

if there is movement , then why would it have to be perfect ? i know the closer to perfect the better but im on a tight budget so if i can do this myself it would be good
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 02:04 AM

You could always buy the narrowing jig then sell it when you are done on Moparts to recover most of your money back
Gus

Attached picture 6676718-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: mopar346

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 02:31 PM

I was thinking of taking a weight lifting bar with the screw on coloars and making some sort of fixture using axle bearings to center is and welding it up. What do you think?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 03:54 PM

set the housing straight up and down slide the axle in and move each way till its centered then tack weld like you do lug nuts then check to see if still slides in and out easy,then tack larger till its welded all around so it won't warp. you also need the tight green bearings to do this or some kind of machined collar for the axel to keep the end square. that is the most important part. there is more than one way to skin a cat. seens like everybody is hung up on doing it the professional way. $$$$$$$$

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 04:34 PM

Quote:

set the housing straight up and down slide the axle in and move each way till its centered then tack weld like you do lug nuts then check to see if still slides in and out easy,then tack larger till its welded all around so it won't warp. you also need the tight green bearings to do this or some kind of machined collar for the axel to keep the end square. that is the most important part. there is more than one way to skin a cat. seens like everybody is hung up on doing it the professional way. $$$$$$$$

thats what i was looking for , PERFECT , thanks very much , you would probly like my axle stand too then , chunk of heavy wall 18 inch pipe full of stones, i use for weight for the rear of the tractor for traction in the winter when im pushing snow , thanks again

Attached picture 6677671-reardiff001.JPG
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 05:13 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=6414010&page=0&vc=1

You could also type in "narrowing a dana 60" into the Google search box at the top of the page. there are numerous threads already here on the subject.

Dennis
Posted By: astjp2

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 05:13 PM

If your ends are off, the splines will form heat.

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 07:08 PM

forgot to tell one more thing, put all the brackets on before welding ends,all housings move when welding . trucks the least, 8 3/4 worst. i have seen these housing after putting back brace on and there are out 1/2 to 3/4 inch. when u weld 8 3/4 u have to use a jig just to hold the housing ,very flexible, thats why these units brake under load.

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

if there is movement , then why would it have to be perfect ? i know the closer to perfect the better but im on a tight budget so if i can do this myself it would be good

Just because there is movement doesn't mean it's forgiving of misalignment; if the axles are cocked in the carrier splines the splines will wear prematurely and if the axle bearing is cocked it won't live long either.
Posted By: Blown61

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/11/11 10:18 PM

Looks upside down in that pic

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/12/11 01:46 AM

Quote:

Looks upside down in that pic

haha , good eye , it is , i left the truck mounts on til last incase i need them to line up the spring perches

thanks everyone , ill weld on the sprind perches first then

hard to imagine 1/2 inch thick 3 inch pipe twisting but i wont take any chances , ive got the ends taked on , but ill weld and cut everything and double check axles before final weld , thanks again

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/12/11 10:38 PM

Here's the amount of misalignment that sometimes occurs when using the CORRECT narrowing procedure...imagine what an eyeball alignment will result in.

Attached picture 6679647-Misalignment.jpg

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/12/11 11:14 PM

misalignment will occur in any method you use.funny how much the factory will allow since the floater housings are made in one piece then pressed in the center section.its not rocket science.68 notch, let us know in 2-3 years how much wear you see.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 12:10 AM

If you've got access to a turning lathe or have a friend with one it easy to make a jig. Just turn out 2 pieces of 1" plate the same size as the carrier bearings. Bore a centered 1-1/4" hole in each, do the same for the axle bearings. Slip them in, slip in a length of 1-1/4" shafting, insert axle houing ends with other steel pucks in them and everything is lined up. Dave
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 01:46 AM

its not rocket science.68 notch, let us know in 2-3 years how much wear you see.

May not be rocket science but there is a correct way of doing things and what is being described is not it.
Without alignment bar, the job is a do over.
Posted By: RV2

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 02:43 AM

Hey John, what do you do when the tube is off like that, how do you straighten it?
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 02:55 PM

Heat tube lengthwise on side you want it to pull back to and quench.

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 08:11 PM

If looks aren't a consideration just weld it, I've done lots like that.
Posted By: RV2

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 08:22 PM

You mean weld it the way it is without pulling it back straight?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: narrowing d60 - 06/13/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

If looks aren't a consideration just weld it, I've done lots like that.

thats what I was thinking,just weld up the tube and end and fill in the gap till flush,dress it up with a grinder.

the axle thru the tube is straight and lined up.

© 2024 Moparts Forums