Moparts

A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!?

Posted By: BrianT

A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/03/11 10:03 PM

I am converting my 67 from column shift to floor shift. I bought the leather wrapped Grant tuff wheel and the correct Grant adapter for the floor shift column.

My question has two parts. Will I need to buy an A body tuff wheel adapter to make this fit? The Grant adapter kit matches up perfectly to my column, but I'm afraid the wheel will be too far away from me. Will the can style adapters work with the 67-69 style column where the ignition switch is on the dash?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/05/11 11:50 AM

Nobody knows whether I need to use the can style adapter or not?!?
Posted By: Fab64

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/05/11 03:19 PM

I put a Grant vinyl Tuff wheel on my Barracuda, and used their 2" extension kit along with their adapter. Some people don't like the way it looks. It's not perfect, but I think it looks okay. I believe they come in other widths, too:

I bought the adapter and extension at Amazon:

Extension link
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/06/11 03:02 AM

Quote:

Nobody knows whether I need to use the can style adapter or not?!?

there is a nice dicussion about that, we got mayeb 2 or 3 months ago, with lot of pics and options

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/06/11 11:45 AM

Cool! I'll try the crappy search feature again.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/09/11 05:00 AM

Quote:

I am converting my 67 from column shift to floor shift. I bought the leather wrapped Grant tuff wheel and the correct Grant adapter for the floor shift column.

My question has two parts. Will I need to buy an A body tuff wheel adapter to make this fit? The Grant adapter kit matches up perfectly to my column, but I'm afraid the wheel will be too far away from me.

The Tuff wheel adapter/can compensates for the Tuff wheel's lack of "dish" by spacing the steering wheels closer to the driver, so I would suggest you use the adapter/can.

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 12:04 AM

NO, IT WONT FIT, without trim it

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 12:55 PM

Quote:

there is a nice dicussion about that, we got mayeb 2 or 3 months ago, with lot of pics and options

I must be an idiot, I went back one year and couldn't find any thread. Maybe I was using the wrong keywords.

I have access to an E body style can, and also an A body style one. What needs to be trimmed to make it fit?!?

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 02:06 PM

we got this:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6512855

what takes to this:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6488632

and then to this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40107.0.html

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 02:21 PM

Nice save Nacho!! I was searching Tuff wheel, not Grant. Thanks!!!

Here's what I have right now. 68 A body floor shift column with a 71 E body adapter/can. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pic...

I also have an A body adapter/can, it's just not at the house at this time.

So if I'm ready the Charger thread correctly, I will have to grind out the inner portion of the adapter so that it will fit over the outside of the column. Is that right? Would the A body can fit any better or do you think it would have to be clearanced?

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 02:36 PM

I searched Tuff too, not Grant
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 04:19 PM

Found this on E bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-TUF...sQ5fAccessories
Posted By: b5a12bee

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 04:41 PM

I have a tuff wheel and the adapter is only 2" or so, anybody know what the the shorter adapter came on?

Attached picture 6679133-IMG_2787.JPG

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/12/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

Found this on E bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-TUF...sQ5fAccessories

I have that adapter also. I am trying to find out if that one will have to be modified to fit my 68 steering column.

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 06/15/11 11:36 PM

OK, here's the same column with my A body can/adapter on it. The lower part of the can still hits and rubs on the column, but not as bad as the E body can does.

What are my options here? The way I see it, I can try and grind off some of the inside of the can (like in the Charger thread) so that it doesn't drag on the column, or I could cut that lower portion off which would let the can bottom out as it should on the column.

What do you all think?

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/02/11 05:48 PM

Well, since no one has replied, I'm going to proceed on my own. What I have decided to do rather than grinding the part of the adapter that's contacting my column (as in the Charger link), I am going to remove the offending piece completely.

I plan on using my Rotabroach tool and cut the spot welds loose. They are in the 12,4, 6 & 10 o'clock positions in the pic below. This should allow the offending piece to come out and not interfere with the column. I'm just not sure what it will look like when the adapter matches up with the column afterwards?!?

Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/02/11 06:31 PM

I vaguely recall the J-body adapter I briefly had, but I do remember it had a weld bead on the back side, joining the two pieces together, so separation was not realistically possible.

I would just go for it and modify the parts until you're satisfied.

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/02/11 10:02 PM

Well, I drilled out the spot welds and removed the offending piece of the adapter. This is what I got.

I then trial fitted the adapter to my steering column and this is what it looked like with the nut tightened down all the way.

I am going to paint everything the same color and I think I can live with it. I think from the angle that people will be seeing it from, it will hardly be noticeable. Hopefully the leather wrapped Tuff wheel will distract their attention!!

I'll post some final pics when I get everything painted and assembled.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/02/11 10:59 PM

that leather looks really good,nice choice.the foams look cheap.show pics when done

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/03/11 08:49 PM

Here's the final product. It's not perfect, but nothing on my car is. I think I can live with it.

Posted By: 1970Dart3406

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/04/11 01:44 AM

My tuff wheel came out of a 1971-74 B-Body. It has a 3 inch adapter and fits fine on a 1970 Dart, auto on the column, column. I have a manual shift column for the car thats not in yet and I assume that it will fit the same. Theres no gap to the column and it looks like it was born there........

Re: A body Tuff wheel adapter needed?!? - 07/04/11 09:49 AM

Quote:

My tuff wheel came out of a 1971-74 B-Body. It has a 3 inch adapter and fits fine on a 1970 Dart, auto on the column, column. I have a manual shift column for the car thats not in yet and I assume that it will fit the same. Theres no gap to the column and it looks like it was born there........

That's because your 70 and up A body has the key on the column (not the dash) and uses a larger diameter column. That was the whole point of this thread. How to make a 70 and up adapter work on a 67-69 column. But thanks for playin along at home!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums