Moparts

Pinion Snubbers

Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 07:36 PM

Using a B body 8-3/4 rear end in a Duster.

Axle wrap is extreme and I'm hoping to reduce this with a snubber.

Would clearance be an issue with an aftermarket snubber, like MP's or Mancini's? The Mancini piece looks like it is worth the extra $20.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 07:38 PM

Put the right springs on it and use the pinion snubber for what it does best. Door stop.
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 08:00 PM

My racing budget, what's left of it will not take the hit.

If I have a budget of 150$ (race winnings) and bad wrap I'll have to pony up for the snubber or maybe scrounge up a set of traction bars.

The car had this old setup seen below. The bottom leafs are only halfs with a pad at the end. Where they bolt on can be adjusted as shown below.

Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 08:05 PM

Go the traction-bar route before the snubber
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

What if he overloads the trunk with beer?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What if he overloads the trunk with beer?

to that suggestion ...

It is a BESTer choice than that snubber !
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 09:20 PM

As long as the existing wild spring setup is anchored, and not ready to fall apart, you can put the adjustable snubber on it and adjust it 1/2 inch from floor and try it. You will be greatly annoyed by the street manners after that though.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/02/11 11:49 PM

Quote:

Put the right springs on it and use the pinion snubber for what it does best. Door stop.

But in the mean time clamp the front spring segments tight with some heavy duty spring clamps.
The one you have on there is worthless IMHO
Can be home made on the cheap

1.389 60' 002 & 003 S/S springs NO SNUBBER foot braking
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/03/11 01:15 AM

Back in the mid 80's, I didn't have much money and ended up useing 3/4 ton chevy truck springs mixed with the originals. The springs were 50 bucks at a junk yard, and new center pins. I ran 8 leafs on the left and 9 on the right. In front of the axle and 3 leafs out the back. I kept the first leaf stock, then added every other truck leaf. Being sure to stagger them 2-3 inches back with each leaf, for the first 4 or so. Didnt even need a snubber and ride height was about 1 inch higher. I used a 069 J converter and 391 gears in a 72 cuda with a 9-1 comp 440 and stock heads. Went 11.96 for a best I believe but the 60' was a 1.49/1.52 3800 lb car. Cam and intake selection wasn't all that good back then and an 11 sec street car was tough to beat. L60 mickey tires and 3 inch exhaust. I'd launch on the primaries then stab the gas, or it wouldnt hook with the street tires back then
Posted By: Neil

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/03/11 02:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But in the mean time clamp the front spring segments tight with some heavy duty spring clamps.
The one you have on there is worthless IMHO
Can be home made on the cheap

1.389 60' 002 & 003 S/S springs NO SNUBBER foot braking

I have read about adding extra clamps to the front portion of the leaf spring pack in several mopar magazine articles over the years. Spring clamps are dirt cheap too!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Pinion Snubbers - 06/03/11 01:20 PM

doesn't the pinion rotate up though on launch? with the shorter leaves on the bottom of the stack, as the axle rotates, isn't it pushing the shorter, bottom leaves up into the top main leaf? how would clamps help anything there as it's trying to twist the axle upward? that motion would be pressing the leaves together anyway.

I thought you wanted the leaves on the back section so that as the front rotates upward, it helps to prevent the leaves from separating from each other?
© 2024 Moparts Forums