Moparts

Checking Rod Bearing Clearance (BB)?

Posted By: 70runner

Checking Rod Bearing Clearance (BB)? - 05/27/11 03:05 AM

Using plastigauge to check 440 mains showed .001 on #1, #3, #4, somewhat less on #2 and #5. Yes, I painstakingly cleaned the journals with acetone and read the english side of the plastigauge paper. Hauled the block/crank to the machine shop. They mic'd the crank journals, transferred the measurement to a dial bore gauge and measured between 2.4-2.6 thousandths clearance on all the mains. All is good.

Now I have to tackle the rod bearing clearance and am leery of using plastigauge, plus I understand torquing the rod bolts can distort the plastigauge readings. Are there any alternatives short of buying an expensive dial bore gauge?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Checking Rod Bearing Clearance (BB)? - 05/27/11 03:39 AM

rod at BDC, plastigauge ~1/4" off to either side from dead bottom, strips of feeler gauge on either side of rod to keep it square while torquing
Posted By: GTXX

Re: Checking Rod Bearing Clearance (BB)? - 05/27/11 04:33 AM

have both rods on that journal of the crank when checking with plastigage. It seems to make a difference, I think it can smear the wax if the other rod isn't there.
Posted By: court9155

Re: Checking Rod Bearing Clearance (BB)? - 05/27/11 04:41 AM

For some reason nearly everytime I checked plastigage against my mics it measured tighter with the plastigage then the mics.

I quit using it.

Dan
© 2024 Moparts Forums