Moparts

Brake drag?

Posted By: DGS

Brake drag? - 05/25/11 12:29 PM

My wheels get quite hot when I drive the Charger. I recently upgraded to discs up front (ebay kit manufactured by MBM - same as MP Brakes but with universal dual 8" booster and GM master).

How hard should it be to turn the wheels by hand? When I jack up the car I can spin the wheel just over once - and I have to use both of my hands! Is this considered normal or do I have excessive drag?

Check wheel bearing preload and it's fine - seems to be the brakes.

Will crack open a bleeder to see if wheels spin more freely then. Any other ideas?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 12:56 PM

Sounds like they are hanging a bit.Most PBs have an adjustable pushrod.You can adjust it either in or out.Rocky

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 01:28 PM

I forgot to mention that I already loosened the master cylinder a bit so that the push rod wouldn't touch the master cylinder - didn't improve anything.
Maybe I have to open the bleeders and check again.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 01:29 PM

Excesssive drag. some calipers are like that & I R&R them to take care of it (cheap stock ones tho). As Rock said I'd check the adj pushrod clearance & if good then take off & remount the calipers as they might be hanging up a bit from the mounting then replace em as a last resort

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 01:38 PM

alright, I'll check the pushrod first. Calipers are new so I didn't disassemble them before I installed the brake kit.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 09:05 PM

Somehow its holding residual pressure. The obvious question is, did you get a M/C that is related to disc brakes? Drum M/C's are known to hold residual pressure.

Re: Brake drag? - 05/25/11 09:59 PM

Supposedly they only sell disc masters. There shouldn't be a residual valve in the master.

The brakes are slider types. Would it affect pad return if I overtorqued the anti-rattle springs (they attach to the brake adapter but put pressure on the caliper)?
© 2024 Moparts Forums