Moparts

Front wheel bearings, when to replace ?

Posted By: yorker

Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 03:09 AM

Doing front brakes on a 68 Charger. Car has 45,000 original miles and may have the original wheel bearings .
I cleaned them and there is a little play between the inner circle and the outter part.

The right wheel did move a little when car was jacked up and hand placed on top of tire and at bottom. Could have been the main nut was not tightened properly.
I do not see any wear on the roller bearings them self.

Should these still be good for awhile, or are they near the end just because of age and mileage?

Thanks
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 03:14 AM

Wheel bearings theoretically don't go bad if they are services regularly and properly. The looseness was no doubt caused by adjustment. If they look good with no gaulding or pitting, I'd run them. They are cheap enough to replace but chances are the modern quality is not as good as the originals.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 03:26 AM

If they look good use them.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 03:29 AM

The old ones are probably better quality than what you'd get new anyway.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 03:48 AM

x 4 ... not to worry.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Front wheel bearings, when to replace ? - 05/25/11 04:27 AM

What they said. solvent clean/visual check/lube w Kendall GT "blue" grease or MP "green" grease & the needle ($5) on your grease gun works good esp on installed bearings (rear axle) and loose ones (front) the plastic 2 piece cone packer works good as does the needle but the packer is faster & cant use it on the installed ones. The bearings and their races will always be loose a fair amt
© 2024 Moparts Forums