Moparts

Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ?

Posted By: RTshaker

Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/24/11 07:01 PM

Do I have to sand epoxy primer before appling the filler... is it a chemical vs a physical bond ?If so what grit ? Thanks
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/24/11 08:41 PM

Yes you MUST scuff once its completely dry.
Scuff with green or red "scuff" pad or 220--280 dry paper.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/25/11 02:26 AM

If you missed the time window (should be listed on tech sheet) then,yes, you must roughen it up, I'd use 120 grit paper,

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/25/11 05:08 PM

yes that is what I was getting at. The window is 72 hrs before requiring sanding..but then started to wonder if the epoxy is NOT completely dry then maybe it wouldn`t be wise to put the plastic on ??

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/26/11 02:07 PM

As long as you didn't hose it on too much and now it's thick and rubbery,you'll be fine,but if it's thick, I'd let it cure for a week or two, since you missed the window anyways. Roll it outside everyday and let it sit in the sun.

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/26/11 04:04 PM

I never started yet. I had intended to use the epoxy for adhesion and rust prevention in the area requiring a skim of filler. But was wondering if the bond with the primer{semi-smooth }within 24 hrs would be ok or would it be better to leave for 3 days then sand {roughen -up and apply filled then ? Thanks

Re: Sand epoxy primer prior to filler ? - 05/27/11 04:38 AM

Check the tech sheet, it should tell you how much time you have before topcoat, I believe the average is 72 hours
© 2024 Moparts Forums