Moparts

Does mini-starter crank faster?

Posted By: BDW

Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 02:10 AM

I understand the weight savings.
Does the mini-starter turn the engine over any faster compared to the early style factory starters?

Curious is this would help, hot start, fuel evaporation issues?

Thx
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 02:24 AM

yes,it does on my 318 and 440
Posted By: KY Charger

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 03:18 AM

Yes they don't drag as much as the old starters and you might just need an aluminum spacer between your intake and carb.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 03:25 AM

Seems like mine spins twice as fast. I know it really doesn't, but it seems like it. Engine starts so much quicker.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

Curious is this would help, hot start, fuel evaporation issues?

I'd b inclined to think that (prob) needs (seperate) attention. More details on what you have, carb/spacer/ex heat/E10 or not
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

Seems like mine spins twice as fast. I know it really doesn't, but it seems like it. Engine starts so much quicker.

Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/24/11 05:59 PM

it spins faster, but doesnt effect the fuel system. you might need a phenolic or plywood spacer under the carb. you're in florida, and that means you can find gas without alcohol in it. the pump handles are blue, on a "real gas" pump. green is diesel, black is blended fuel. run real gas when you can, and insulate the carb.

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/25/11 01:11 AM

Car actually starts pretty good. The addition of the Edlebrock spacer worked wonders.

There's just some times it seems like the starter is slow and car would start better if it turned over quicker.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/25/11 03:19 AM

Quote:

Car actually starts pretty good. There's just some times it seems like the starter is slow and car would start better if it turned over quicker.

W that info a mini might b a good addition and the slower a starter turns the more amps it draws (unlike most motors) so a faster/more efficient mini would free up more voltage for the ign
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/25/11 04:50 AM

Yes!! For sure!

I put one on everything for that very reason.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/25/11 12:34 PM

do they spin faster? yup.

another problem that you might be having is that the starter is getting heat soaked and the internal resistance goes up, making it crank slower.

a smaller starter will also help with this, as it leaves more air space between the exhaust and starter.
Posted By: convx4

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/25/11 04:13 PM

I'm going to break the trend.
And say No.
Let me explain:
I have a manual RPM gauge. I removed the distributor cap and rotor. Then checked the cranking speed on my original 1965 starter. It was about 100 RPM's
After installing a rebuilt mini starter from a 1996 dodge truck it read 50 RPM's.
I did make a new wiring harness for the mini starter.
Yes the battery was fully charged. The mini starter sounds a lot faster than the old gear reduction starter.
I did this testing cause I was having a hard start problem with my electronic distributor. Om my Allen distributor machine I was getting a good signal at 200 RPM. It turned out to be my replacement magnetic pickup was bad. I want to, but haven't, go back with the original starter. I just like that sound.

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/26/11 01:56 AM

Thx for all the replies.

Anyone have a pic of the mini-starter on a SB? I see the connector terminal is clocked differently and is closer to the block?

Can I use my factory battery cable without cutting or modding it?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/26/11 02:03 AM

You should see how close it is the block on B-RB engines. The cable has to reach a little farther to bolt to your new starter, and has to be twisted a little too. I just got the stock cable to work on a 79 d150, but it is a little short. Some starters had a plastic adapter on them for better fitment though.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Does mini-starter crank faster? - 05/26/11 03:09 AM

hers one on my 440 truck with stock wire with rubber lug

it looks close to the block,but the stud is in the center of the core plug and has a finger thickness of clearance to touch the block or core plug

just removed the adaptor extition piece and put the stock wire right to the studs

might have to grind a little at the screw on the noid at the starter bolt flange thats the only tight spot on mine...i did notheing to it though

Attached picture 6651205-ministarter.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums