Moparts

Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla

Posted By: Moparfanatic

Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/17/11 10:40 PM

Getting ready to put exhaust on my 70 Roadrunner. Stock 383 with Hooker Super Comps. Will be running 2.5 inch pipe. Wondering about which muffler to use. Want it a little quiet in cabin but louder outside when you step on it. What do you recommend?
Thanks
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/17/11 11:33 PM

I put Flowmasters on all of my cars , Small blocks 2 1/2 big block 3" Flowmaster 40s I put 3" PIPES ALL THE WAY BACK ON MY 1970 ROAD RUNNER WITH FLOWMASTER 40S ALSO ON MY HEMI CAR . THEY WORK AND MAKE HP!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/17/11 11:51 PM

Dynomax Ultraflows;

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/6604983-MufflerComparisionChart.jpg

It's all there in black and white.

Dave
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 12:33 AM

I just pulled the 50 series delta flow flowmasters off my 440 powered Coronet because they were just to loud! The Flowmaster "drone" at cruise just drove me crazy. I installed Dynomax turbos and LOVE THEM. They are much quiter and flow better as well. Get the turbos, they rock. PS. Get the 20 inchers.
Posted By: gch

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

I just pulled the 50 series delta flow flowmasters off my 440 powered Coronet because they were just to loud! The Flowmaster "drone" at cruise just drove me crazy. I installed Dynomax turbos and LOVE THEM. They are much quiter and flow better as well. Get the turbos, they rock. PS. Get the 20 inchers.

This with an x-pipe for a little less drone and more growl when you hammer it.

The magnaflow or dynomax ultraflow sound great but are still a bit loud at cruise rpm for me.
The Hooker aero chamber is anothe good option that doesent get a lot of ink.
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This with an x-pipe for a little less drone and more growl when you hammer it.

I forgot the x-pipe. I've got one as well and it did make a big difference. Get one of those too.

The magnaflow or dynomax ultraflow sound great but are still a bit loud at cruise rpm for me.
The Hooker aero chamber is anothe good option that doesent get a lot of ink.

Posted By: 74_360_Cuda

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 02:05 AM

I have the Flowmaster Super 40's on my Cuda and I love them but I wanted something loud... Definetly not for you if you don't want too much noise inside your car!
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 02:09 AM

Don't trust a muffler you can't see through!
I have Magnaflows on my charger. They sound great I got them from jegs, stainless and cheap. I just replaced the flowaster on my Jeep (don't ask) because I hated the drone and loud crappy sound. Do yourself a favor and don't use one.
Posted By: killercoronet

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 02:58 AM

Dynomax Ultraflows!! I know that isn't one of your choices but i got them on my Coronet with 2.5 exhaust and IMO its the perfect all around exhaust system. But in your choices I'd say Magnaflows they have a real nice sound.
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 03:13 AM

MoparFanatic, use some of these to get the best of all worlds.

Attached picture 6638652-waldrontopshotnoflash1222gray.JPG
Posted By: 67coronetman

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 11:41 AM

Quote:

I have Magnaflows on my charger. They sound great I got them from jegs, stainless and cheap. I just replaced the flowaster on my Jeep (don't ask) because I hated the drone and loud crappy sound. Do yourself a favor and don't use one.

I do agree flowmaster needs to start over again when Crusing my car there is way to much interior noise you can't even talk to your passenger.!
I have heard the Dynomax super turbo are very nice and the magnaflows where very good.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 12:20 PM

my Dakota 5.2L with intake, headers and cam had a magnaflow on it. sounded ok, but it muffled the lope of the cam quite a bit, and droned at cruise RPM.

I'm using some powersticks now, 2 welded together for 60 inches of "muffler" it's not bad at idle, but has some drone at cruise that I need to tune out. I'm going to first, get the exhaust out from under the truck because I just dumped it infront of the rear axle for now. then I'll try putting a short, straight through glass packed muffler to help absorb some of the sound.

I love the sound of the powersticks, especially at WOT as it's pulling through 6,000 rpm. I just need to tone it down a bit to make cruise tolerable!
Posted By: desomod

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/18/11 10:32 PM

I am running the Magnaflow's with TTI 2 1/8 headers and 3" on a 528" Hemi. Great sound, no drone at cruise and fantastic at WOT while on the Dyno!!!
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 12:04 AM

Magnaflows for me. Replaced my Flowmasters 5 years ago because I couldn't take the drone anymore. Was painful to drive on the highway. The Flowmasters sounded good outside the car, but I found it really hard to hear the car from the outside when driving it............

I'll never own a Flowmaster again.

Attached picture 6639972-valiantstaging@42.JPG
Posted By: feets

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 12:26 AM

None of them!

I've never met a Flowmaster or Borla that I liked. I can't stand the sound and the drone can be excessive.

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 12:53 AM

FWIW,

2 1/2" mufflers tested at 15" WC;

- Flowmaster 249 CFM
- Magnaflow 284 CFM
- Borla 373 CFM

Straight 2 1/4" pipe - 365 CFM
Straight 2 1/2" pipe - 521 CFM

.....Dynomax Ultraflow - 512CFM.....AND it's significantly quieter than the Flowmasters.

Dave
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 02:08 AM

Seriously? How can a Dynomax ultra-flow flow nearly 2x a magnaflow, they are both straight through mufflers with packing material around the perforated pipe.

I have Magnaflow stainless, with an X pipe. Switched to them from Flowtech afterburners ("Summit welded muffler"). There is no more drone inside and it sounds great, certainly not quiet either.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 02:15 AM

Found this on another board, lots of numbers here. Within a few HP/torque I think would be considered basically equivalent.

Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 02:29 AM

3 inch Dynomax for ever

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 03:54 AM

Quote:

Seriously? How can a Dynomax ultra-flow flow nearly 2x a magnaflow, they are both straight through mufflers with packing material around the perforated pipe.

I have Magnaflow stainless, with an X pipe. Switched to them from Flowtech afterburners ("Summit welded muffler"). There is no more drone inside and it sounds great, certainly not quiet either.

I dunno; perhaps there are more than one design of Magnaflows? not my data.

All I DO know is that I'd never use a Flowmaster when the Ultraflows flow twice as well AND are quieter.

Dave
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 04:32 AM

Thanks for showing that article........swapped out the Ultraflows for the Borla Pro XS(same design as the Ultraflow) on an 11:1, 550hp 440 with 3" X-pipe. The Borlas are a bit more expensive but a touch quieter and judging by the article, the best performing.

Overall construction is similar to the Dynomax, but side by side a bit higher quality in the Borla.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla - 05/19/11 04:49 AM

Quote:

+ 1
© 2024 Moparts Forums