Moparts

rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok

Posted By: rtplumcrazy1

rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 04:42 AM

i was wondering how much tire to 1/4 panel lip clearance is considered enough at rest---so there would be no rubbing when cornering and what not. I won't tell you that the car i am concerned about is not a Mopar.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 04:45 AM

What type of tires are you running ?

An old style tall sidewall 15" tire will flex alot more and probably need more clearance than a modern low profile 17" or 18" setup ?

I usually just shoot for having room to fit my fingers in between the tire and quarter and go from there.
(3/4" or so?)
Posted By: rtplumcrazy1

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 05:05 AM

Quote:

What type of tires are you running ?

An old style tall sidewall 15" tire will flex alot more and probably need more clearance than a modern low profile 17" or 18" setup ?

I usually just shoot for having room to fit my fingers in between the tire and quarter and go from there.
(3/4" or so?)

probably 15 inch tires-with alot of sidewall like a 275 60 R15
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 05:09 AM

this might sound like a dumb question, but when your cornering and the tires are flexing, isn't all the flexing going on where the tire meets the road, not at the top where the tire is near the fender ?

Anyway, I like to have at least 1/2" or a fingers thickness.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 05:34 AM

Quote:

this might sound like a dumb question, but when your cornering and the tires are flexing, isn't all the flexing going on where the tire meets the road, not at the top where the tire is near the fender ?

Anyway, I like to have at least 1/2" or a fingers thickness.

I guess we'd like to think so,...but I have 275/60/15 (rear) GoodYear Eagle GT II's on my Challenger T/A, about a good finger's width between the chrome wheel lip and the tire's face, yet I still get the tire's skin finely cut around it's outer diameter by the edge of the chrome mldgs
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 08:23 AM

Quote:

isn't all the flexing going on where the tire meets the road, not at the top where the tire is near the fender ?

Not dumb at all. Look at video of cars cornering. Most of the flex does occur in the tread area, but depending on the sidewall height, that flex can be transmitted further up the tire. In theory, a 78 series tire may flex halfway up the rim compared to a 40 series tire.
Posted By: rattler

Re: rear 1/4 panel tire clearance-how much is cosidered ok - 05/17/11 12:08 PM

There is also the issue of how much lateral flex is in the suspension. Stock or old leaves are going to have more side to side movement than heavier new springs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums