Moparts

putting hood on car alone

Posted By: cornet684me

putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 03:48 AM

i have a strange problem, i am needing to put the hood back on my car and do not have anybody that can help me, everytime i go to ask somebody it falls thru, and i really do not want to just call somebody up and ask them to help, has anybody ever rigged up some type of harness and used a cherry picker to put the hood on? i know this sounds like a very stupid question, however, i am desperate, i have almost when downtown and picked up a homeless person and pay him to help me put on my hood, i have basically done my whole 4year restoration by myself and do not have alot of friends to help

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 03:52 AM

pickup/pay a homeless guy & grab some blankets & take your time/no rush/stop & readjust if you need to as you're almost there. Dont need scratches/dents at this stage of the game

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 03:58 AM

i hear you Robert, i think i am almost at the burned out stage in this build, 4 years, butt load of cash, still chasing my tail and only driven the car about 50miles, i find something else wrong everytime i take the car out, i have some neighbors that get together on the weekends and watch football, maybe i can go over with a 12pack and get the help before they start on the 12pack!

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 04:01 AM

Homeless guys work cheap, might grab 2 of em, dont wanna make any scratches

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 04:04 AM

thanks for the input Robert, i will report back next week with the results, i have had to repaint cowl and had to buy new hinges, so your right , need to keep my wits,
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 04:32 AM

I have done it by myself more than once. I lay thick blankets in the cowl area and set the rear hood on the blankets and then support the front of the hood with 2x4 and carefully bolt it up. I am 6'3" and am pretty strong. It can be done, but I am a big guy. My wife reminds me of that all the time like when I was ripping 4x4 sheets of drywall of the wall this weekend.

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 04:34 AM

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 05:03 AM

Challenger 1 would (probably) help you (maybe even for free) but he's too far away so go grab some homeless guys & yeah they'll work cheap (I know I did when I was homeless) plus you'll b stimulating the economy in a roundabout way plus we gotta move on to the next prob
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 05:32 AM

Been there, done it before. I worry about the back of the hood sliding back into the windshield.
'71 Charger hoods are huge
Place hood over hinges, support front of hood with engine hoist, lift front of hood, while making sure it does not slid back.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 05:33 AM

Man Handle it like Challenger 1!!!
Posted By: bobbyb

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 12:29 PM

I installed my Challenger hood by screwing an I-bolt in the ceiling of the garage and a strap (or rope) through the I-bolt and to the hood. You might want to leave a little slack in it to lift it over the hood springs. Worked for me.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 12:43 PM

Load the hood into a pickup and take it to a body shop. Then drive the car to the body shop and pay them to do it. The consequences of cheaping out are much greater than an hours labor. A body guy can install the hood in minutes without damaging the car. A homeless guy may work cheap but does he really understand or care about your car? I think not.
Posted By: crlush

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 02:37 PM

I've done the thick folded towels, works great but I always like to have someone hold hood up while hooking up hinges, and also for an extra set of eyes while aligning hood so it doesn't scrape off any paint. I like to drill 1/8 inch holes thru hinges and hood so that you never have to worry about aligning hood again in case you have to remove it down the road.
Posted By: SGTFURY62

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 07:36 PM

Hoods are overrated ...go hoodless

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 08:15 PM

I like to put tape on the edges when I mount a hood. Also I take off the front wheels and lower the front end as low as possible. I put this hood on by myself.

Ever put the front hood on without the engine and get under there to checkout the clearance?
This the view your engine has 24/7.

I have always worked by myself, when I think about it, I couldn't do it if I wasn't big guy.

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

So are bra's.

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 09:04 PM

I thought the weekend was over with
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/16/11 09:14 PM

When I was 16-17 I did a 77 Cordoba hood by myself. Somehow got it balanced on my head with a handhold on both edges, then lowered it toward the windshield. At 5-10 and about 130? lbs back then, probably lucky to have done that with only a few scratches in the cowl area.

There are some pulley-hoist things on teh market for handling Jeep hardtops, and others for garage-ceiling storage. Perhaps one of those would work?
Posted By: snuggles

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 12:12 AM

I almost always put hoods on myself and remove them also. I do like challenger1 put some blankets down and lift the hood so the rear is resting on the hinge and then put the front bolts in and then support the hood with something and do the other bolts. adjust as needed. I don't remove the wheels and a roadrunner hood is pushing it for me.would hate to do a c body I'm old about 6 foot and 230lbs
Posted By: Screamingdemon

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 02:50 AM

forgive me for getting off topic, i just wanna say that is a shard looking paint job what color is that?

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 03:48 AM

wow, thanks for all the input, i am still trying to find 2 strong guys to help me, i may do the body shop install, i do have a couple of body shops around, however, this takes all the fun out, i have done the complete car, i will post my results asap

Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 05:02 AM

Not only did I install my GTS hood by myself, I did it with one arm tied behind my back,,, well almost. My right arm was in a sling, I had recently had rotator cuff surgery.

I attached a block n tackle to the rafters, attached it to the hood latch on the front of the hood. Hoisted it up off the ground and tied it off.
Then I took 2 motorcycle type tie down straps and attached them to the rafters about where the back of the hood would be. I hooked them on the back edge of the hood and raised them alternately back and forth till I had the hood hanging flat about eye level.
Then I drove the car under the hood, started lowering the straps on the back of the hood till I had the hood at the correct angle to bolt to the hinges. Adjusted the straps a little more, then lined up the holes and bolted it on.
Once it was bolted on tight I removed the straps and the block n tackle.
I got the alignment fairly close, at least so I could close and latch the hood. But I did have to wait a few months to do the final alignment cause I couldn't figure out how to do that part with one arm.

Attached picture 6637171-S5002390.JPG
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 06:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So are bra's.

I agree. I never wear a bra.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So are bra's.

I agree. I never wear a bra.

Glad to hear it..
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/17/11 07:13 AM

Quote:

Not only did I install my GTS hood by myself, I did it with one arm tied behind my back,,, well almost. My right arm was in a sling, I had recently had rotator cuff surgery.

I attached a block n tackle to the rafters, attached it to the hood latch on the front of the hood. Hoisted it up off the ground and tied it off.
Then I took 2 motorcycle type tie down straps and attached them to the rafters about where the back of the hood would be. I hooked them on the back edge of the hood and raised them alternately back and forth till I had the hood hanging flat about eye level.
Then I drove the car under the hood, started lowering the straps on the back of the hood till I had the hood at the correct angle to bolt to the hinges. Adjusted the straps a little more, then lined up the holes and bolted it on.
I got the alignment fairly close, at least so I could close and latch the hood. But I did have to wait a few months to do the final alignment cause I couldn't figure out how to do that part with one arm.

Amazing hood! Where did you get it from? Did it come with the inserts?

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 03:42 AM

update********i just got the hood on my car, by myself, thanks to my engine hoist and a little patiences****

Attached picture 6646228-002.JPG
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 03:48 AM

There is NO WAY I would risk my paint job or my back by putting a hood on by myself. I'd just call a friend for some help.

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 03:49 AM

the only problem i am having is getting the hood to line up, got new hinges from AMD, i get the hood to close however, the back of the hood will not close, it is sticking up on both sides

Attached picture 6646236-003.JPG

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 04:13 AM

loosen the bolts just enough so you can pushdown on the rear on both sides (hire that homeless guy) & have it stay in that position then tighten the bolts then shut it keeping tabs on the rear fit/interference. PATIENCE. Repeat as needed & go easy as you're almost there & dont need a mistake (scratched paint) at this junction

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 04:16 AM

i think i will let it sit for couple of days to give me time to take it all in, my patiences are running thin

thanks Robert

Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Amazing hood! Where did you get it from? Did it come with the inserts?

Its an AMD reproduction hood. I got it from a member here, JSBROWN, or Jeff Brown. He sells AMD sheet metal and other stuff and was near where I live. Good guy, easy deal and I wasn't in a hurry so he waited till he had another local order and shipped them together, saved me half the shipping cost.
And No it didn't come with the inserts. They are repo's too, got them off ebay from classic industries.(straight from china), but the look real nice.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 06:45 AM

i do it on the dakota and full size, anytime i need to work on the back side of the motor. i lift the hood open, and get a board to hold the front up, in the center. i get a couple of towels, and fold them, and place one under each rear corner of the hood across the cowl, to the hinge, and fender. use a sharpie, and trace around the hinge where it bolts to hood. loosen all bolts. remove one side completely, and hold the hood, and after the last bolt comes out, guide it onto the towel, so it sits on the corner of the hood. (you folded the towel, so it's protected) repeat for other side. hood is now free, and supported by board up front. lift hood from board, and grab it where it's easiest for you to balance, and lift it off, and place it wherever.

to reinstall, place some folded towels on cowl, at hinge and cover fenders. lay a board of proper length on the rad support. lift hood into position, and lay it in the closed position on the vehicle. once in position, lift the front, and insert the board when it's high enough to hold hood open, in proper position. working either side, install one bolt, and screw it about halfway in. switch sides, and install all bolts on hood, make them hand tight. go to first side and finish installing. align hood with marks,and tighten. finish other side. close carefully, and check clearances. have fun!!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/23/11 12:23 PM

You guys need more friends.
Posted By: dan9

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/24/11 02:02 PM

I would loosen all bolts except the rear closest to the firewall and lift the hood as high as it will go.Tighten the frontmost bolts then slowly close it and see if it helped, the hood just needs rocked so to speak.

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:31 AM

took about 2 1/2 hours and alot of gray hair, but i think i got it, still a wee bit high in the rear, but i think it will settle down, the new springs are really tight, thanks for all the input!

Attached picture 6651266-resizehood1.jpg

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:32 AM

driver's side a wee bit high, i scare to touch it though

Attached picture 6651269-resizehood2.jpg

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:34 AM

another

Attached picture 6651274-resizehood2.jpg

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:36 AM

Copied from Resto Rick's site.... I know it sez E body & 71 & up B but it will help your car too...

A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is the rear edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Retighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender! Within a few minutes it was fitting perfect!

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:36 AM

okay, got the right size now

Attached picture 6651279-resizehood2.jpg

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:38 AM

thanks Randy,

i think i will wait couple of days and get my nerve back up and will try to fine tune the hood, that is exactly what is wrong with my hood, the back of the hood just a hair too high,

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:50 AM

Now that it's running & you have the hood on it perhaps you can run it by a buddies place & get a assist, two sets of hands makes it much easier & safer.... Trust me I understand about not wanting to get back into it when you've had trouble with it before.......

Re: putting hood on car alone - 05/26/11 03:57 AM

yeah, i am thinking maybe find somebody in local car club that is also a body man and see if he can come by and give me lesson or 2

© 2024 Moparts Forums