Moparts

Need a small block water pump recommendation

Posted By: 471Magnum

Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/15/11 07:18 PM

I'm in the process of assembling my small block stroker. Had originally planned to just re-use the water pump off my stock 340, but after seeing how crusty it is, I'm going to spring for a new one.

Not looking for anything super high performance, but I want to make sure I get one that will move enough water to keep things cool with the extra power that will be on tap.

Rock Auto lists about 10 different pumps; some with six vanes, some with eight, some with A/C, and some without. Other than impeller design, are there any differences?

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 12:23 PM

Come on small block guys... share the knowledge. Need to place my order today.

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 01:20 PM

Actually most any wp is fine even rebuilt ones have a good track record. The MP one is good but pricey. Weld on an anticav plate. Get an 8 blade one and support the front shaft in front of the cross & press the vanes in the rear more forward till you have ~.040" clearance to the body and can mill the tim cover so you end up w .040" clearance from the anti cav plate to the flat (factor in your gasket thickness & adj bolt/washer length). Makes the pump FAR more efficient. Inside the tim cover 2 main water passages is a slight casting mold about halfway in on each one that can b removed w a whizzer in 15 seconds and use the smallest WP pulley you can fit. Have more but is the block bare or almost together
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 02:03 PM

I use a FlowKooler pump on my 550 hp 408 and have no cooling issues.
Posted By: The_Mean_Machine

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 02:59 PM

Quote:

I use a FlowKooler pump on my 550 hp 408 and have no cooling issues.

same here..., no further mods equired.
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 03:05 PM

I used the one spec'd for cop car apps. I think its a max cooling package part. the main visual diff is the shaft dia. 5/8" vs 1/2". It always kept my 340 cool , stop and go woodward cruise or on the highway @ 70 , 80 or more.

Part #4728533. don't know if it's still ava.

I'm using a Milidon hv pump on my 416 , it does ok but the temp seems to creep at highway speeds.

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 04:44 PM

I had a brand new FlowKooler puke all over my freshly detailed big block.

Never again.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 05:11 PM

Get a cheap a/c water pump and put the cavatation plate on it. Way cheaper and works just as good as the high dollar pumps. Been there, done that-bought the t shirt.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

Get a cheap a/c water pump and put the cavatation plate on it. Way cheaper and works just as good as the high dollar pumps. Been there, done that-bought the t shirt.

.....although I'd buy a premium A/C rebuilt pump, and add the impeller plate,....I,ve had this same set-up on my Challenger T/A for about 20 years now

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/16/11 05:37 PM

Just ordered a Gates pump.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/17/11 06:55 PM

..standard water pump is fine.
..get your pulley size correct
..8 vane ac or cop units use a small pulley
..6 vane units use a large pulley
i hope i got that right,but you get the idea.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/18/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

..standard water pump is fine.
..get your pulley size correct
..8 vane ac or cop units use a small pulley
..6 vane units use a large pulley
i hope i got that right,but you get the idea.

you got it backwards.

6 vane a/c small pulley.

8 vane without a/c larger pulley.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/18/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

6 vane a/c small pulley.
8 vane without a/c larger pulley.

OE Correct and 8 vane/small pulley w anti cav plate/adjusted distances on both sides of the vanes gives the best of both worlds
Posted By: finadk

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/18/11 03:40 AM

I went with a Flow Kooler Part # 1700. As advertised it should address any problems with my underdrive March Pulleys. Got it from Summit. Im still assemblying the engine so cant say for sure but I have high hopes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need a small block water pump recommendation - 05/18/11 04:01 AM

Diplomat cop units have a bigger main 5/8 shaft (turned down on the end for the pulley) and have ribs instead of the holes that a standard pump has.
© 2024 Moparts Forums