Moparts

Changing '69 door locks

Posted By: markrr

Changing '69 door locks - 05/15/11 01:46 AM

I'm trying to change the door locks in my '69 roadrunner. I took the tiny c clip off the back of the new lock, the part inside the door, and removed that piece to get the rod back into the hole. Now I cannot get the tiny c clip back on. I can see the clip only goes on one way. I lost one clip down in the door already and I'm using my last one. Is there a simple way to do this? Should I remove the whole rod from the locking mechanism in the door also? I have a '69 Plymouth manual but it is not helpful.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Changing '69 door locks - 05/15/11 03:48 AM

put the flat tab w the hole back on the rear of the lock & secure it w the E clip. Then put the complete lock part way in the hole and tilt it till you can get the rod in the hole then put some sealer judiciously/sparingly around the perimeter of the lock around the dimed sized perimeter gasket then set the lock in all the way in the door & lock it in w the metal clip on the back side
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Changing '69 door locks - 05/15/11 03:48 AM

It's a PIT back side. Did you remove the door panels? Rool the windows up? you have to slide the rod in... then push up on the clip. Not sure what else to say.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Changing '69 door locks - 05/15/11 10:17 AM

Quote:

put the flat tab w the hole back on the rear of the lock & secure it w the E clip. Then put the complete lock part way in the hole and tilt it till you can get the rod in the hole then put some sealer judiciously/sparingly around the perimeter of the lock around the dimed sized perimeter gasket then set the lock in all the way in the door & lock it in w the metal clip on the back side

I agree....You slide the whole mechanism in there. I have never taken the C clip off of a keylock. IIRC...you bring the linkage out into the hole (the dog leg) towards the exterior of the vehicle and take the lock mechanism all assembled...start with it vertically outside the door skin, and put the end of the linkage into the key lock mechanism. Make your way down around the dog leg of the linkage and insert the whole assembly into the door panel. (Make sure the plastic gasket is around lock otherwise your paintjob will be damaged). Then insert the whole assembly in and apply force with one hand while your other hand inside the door slides that giant retaining clip into the grooves of the mechanism (window needs to be in the up position)....You are good to go....Should be the same...worked on 69 / 70 A & B Bodies this way for me

Re: Changing '69 door locks - 05/15/11 06:31 PM

O.K. Thanks for the advice everyone. It's going to be a few days until I try again. I'll post how it works out.

Re: Changing '69 door locks - 05/18/11 01:42 AM

It took me a while but I figured it out. I took out the 3 screws holding the locking mechanism onto the jamb side of the door so it was free inside the door. Then I was able to move everything around and the rod slid easily into the lock. It took about a whole 10 seconds once the mechanism was loose.
© 2024 Moparts Forums