Moparts

Removing Block Drain Plugs?

Posted By: Anonymous

Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 02:36 AM

Hello,
I have read several places that it's a good idea to remove the block's drain plugs when flushing the cooling system. I have not attempted this step when doing a flush of the system before, but wanted to give it a shot next time.

My question is -- Is it really safe to go ahead and remove these plugs? Is there a possibility of damaging or stripping the plug or worse yet, the block threads? Do they come out easily or are they generally stuck in there from years of heating up the block?

Would be interested to hear others experience with this and any potential gotchas that might make this too risky to try.

Thanks very much!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 03:28 AM

I always take them out, but they can be super stubborn. The ones that won't turn out I let the machine shop tackle.
Posted By: topside

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 03:32 AM

Once they're out, on non-#s restorations I like to put petcocks in there with drain hoses on them; makes it easier to service the cooling system.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 03:35 AM

I agree.

I was going to just that on my last engine, but my block hugger headers are right in front of the drain holes so there was no room for the drain valves.
Posted By: topside

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 03:46 AM

Neil, maybe you could put a 45* or 90* fitting into the block to get clearance...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 05:17 PM

When putting these plugs back in, is it recommended to coat the threads with something to make a better seal? Or is it best to just put back in as-is?

Also, about how tight would you put these plugs back in ?

Thanks!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 05:28 PM

use thread sealer , its a pipe plug , tapered thereads , you'll know when its in far enough
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Removing Block Drain Plugs? - 05/19/08 05:29 PM

You can put plumbers tape on the threads and just snug them in. Not need to smoke them down.
© 2024 Moparts Forums