Moparts

rebushing throttle bores, what to use

Posted By: RapidRobert

rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 02:11 AM

Planned on drilling out the baseplate bores/pressing in a bushing/ream bushing ID to fit shaft. Sound good? What would you suggest I use/any tips/anything I am missing. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: jjl

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 02:38 AM

I used bronze guide liners to do a tquad,once.Ream,press in,them broach to size.Some auto machine shops use them,they could help.

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 02:42 AM

Can I buy guide liners commercially esp as I have some valve guides to do also. Mc Masters or goodson or??
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 03:14 AM

Being the cheapskate I am, I just used brass tubing from the local hobby shop. I forget the size, but, I took a bare shaft with me to find the size. Mine was worn enough that I didn't need to drill the base plate. I cut the tubing a little long, and carefully tapped it in with a small hammer and a piece of wood. I cleaned up the (inside) edge with a small rat tail file. Once the 'bushing' was in, I set the base plate on its side and put a few drops of loctite red around the bushing.

Its held up just fine in a real everyday driver situation and did away with that annoying whistle.

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 03:17 AM

I'll prob freeze the bushing/slightly heat the baseplate. I'm worrying if the shaft will b worn unevenly & need attention
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 04:09 AM

RR ... how badly are they worn ?

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 04:44 AM

Not sure bro but I want to do em (dual AFB's going on a 451) to b proactive & I want to spend some money plus they're 40 + years old
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 04:49 AM

I have never REbushed a base plate ever. Never ran into a carb that I was going to do or use that needed it...... B U T ... I have heard of some that were soooo bad that they caused severe vacuum leaks ...and actually were ...

Your point about getting them in STRAIGHT and TRUE should be a concern. I would say take them to a small machine shop locally.
Posted By: jjl

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 05:25 PM

Yes, goodson sells them and the related tooling.As a side note,If the rebuild is basically stock you can get + .o15 valves.Larger on the stems and the valve diameter.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/07/11 10:35 PM

Reaming the baseplate oversize for bushings requires a reamer with a pilot that's long enough to extend all the way through the baseplate before the flutes make contact. This is the only way to prevent crooked throttle shaft bores.

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/08/11 12:58 AM

Thank you John & a guy has the right stuff & wants 25 a carb so I might just let him go ahead
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/08/11 01:45 AM

I use a home made version of the method sold here Throttle Shaft Repair Tools

Works great!

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/08/11 01:48 AM

Quote:

Works great!

Yeah I didn't mind the 25 (X2) but I wanted to do it myself (pride) plus it ain't rocket science
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/08/11 01:51 AM

BTW I HIGHLY reccomend a good cutting lube when cutting the aluminum, you don't want it the cutter gall or bind up mid way or it can get ugly in a hurry!

Re: rebushing throttle bores, what to use - 05/08/11 01:54 AM

I have 2 identical 4131S AFB's & for sure dont want to mess one up
© 2024 Moparts Forums