Moparts

I hate evap leaks

Posted By: 1968RR

I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 06:23 PM

I remember a few years back having my check engine light turn on in my 2002 Dodge Ram (3.7 L). I recall that the evap leak code came up and that I bought a new gas cap. Also, I vaguely remember being angry at myself for buying a new gas cap because I discovered the major (and obvious) source of the leak a few days later.
The dreaded evap leak code has returned again, and now I can't remember what the source of it was last time (I've already checked the gas cap and that's not it). Anyone have any ideas about what I should check? If not, does anyone know how to build a time machine so that I can go back and ask my younger self how I fixed the problem last time?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 06:29 PM

do you know where to get a flux capacitor?
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 06:49 PM

Try to hang with me here. I have no idea what the parts are that I'm about to describe.

On my 2001 Ram 1500, behind the rear door on the passenger side, there's a metal box with a couple rubber hoses leading to it. My evap leak was right there...the larger of the two (or three) hoses.
Posted By: rallye73

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 07:05 PM

Check the hose going to the leak detection pump. Also check the hose going to the purge solinoid. Both are prone to the hoses splitting out around the ends when they get some age to them. Doesn't take much of a leak to throw a code.
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Check the hose going to the leak detection pump. Also check the hose going to the purge solinoid. Both are prone to the hoses splitting out around the ends when they get some age to them. Doesn't take much of a leak to throw a code.

I've checked the hoses going to the evap system (mine is on the driver's side), but I didn't notice leaks. If I remember correctly, the leak that I found long ago was under the hood. Where is the purge solenoid? Is that near the evap canister or under the hood?
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 07:26 PM

Hello, You need to find a shop with a diagnostic smoke machine. I've found and fixed a bunch lately. Jeff
Posted By: racealittle

Re: I hate evap leaks - 05/06/11 08:26 PM

Just had this issue with my 2007 Caliber.

When I googled the code for tips on how to fix, the answer was: don't replace the gas cap, get to the dealer, you need a dbrIII scanner and a smoke test machine. The tests will have to be done mutiple times to confirm.

In my situation is was the solenoid and the detector that failed. All rubber was good. They also reflashed the computer with updated firmware.

I noticed the improvement in the firmware. The car acts and feels better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums