Moparts

Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap?

Posted By: gassy66

Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 01:29 PM

Have taken apart and rebuilt rusted counterweight
for Flapper valve in right side Exhaust Manifold.
Am ready to put back together.Question is:should
I put the flapper plate back inside the Manifold
and make It all work like original,or just put the Shaft thru without the Flapper Plate,and weld the shaft to the inside of the manifold with the
Counterweight in the open position always??
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 01:41 PM

leave it out.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 03:09 PM

Left mine out, never had a problem or ever noticed it was gone
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 03:18 PM

Another one for leaving it out.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 03:20 PM

What carb/choke setup and are you blocking the crossover in the intake ?
Posted By: fastnos

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 03:24 PM

For me, I would have to decide whether or not I needed it to warm up faster. With it closed, the exhaust gases go up and across the underside of intake. If you drive it alot in colder weather, you may want to leave it operational, or if you only drive it in a warmer climate, and drivability isn't/won't be a concern.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 04:06 PM

Blocked off the heat crossover and elimintated the flap; have no plan to drive my car when it's cold and don't want to compromise performance.

Dave
Posted By: moparkid88

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 06:17 PM

Leave it out, when I first bought my 73 charger i couldnt understand why it felt so doggy, so i took it in and put duals on it, had original single, and the exhaust man said it the flap was locked shut. Sure woke up that ole 318.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/04/11 11:39 PM

With it out it'll destroy your gas mileage esp in cold weather (if that is a concern) & I'm gathering that it is not. To make it inop might tap the sides for 2 brass pipe plugs so in the future you could return it to OE if desired w some brass bushings plus the shaft/flap is a significant restriction. I am assuming these are HP ex manifolds
Posted By: gassy66

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/05/11 12:31 PM

Thanks for response!I got some stainless washers,
fitted 'em onto shaft after removing flapper,and
welded washers on each side of shaft up against
inside of Manifold.I now have slight bit of movement to Counterweight,so it looks like everythings as original,but no Flapper.Manifold
is now installed.. Eric @ Rickety Enterprises..
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/06/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

With it out it'll destroy your gas mileage esp in cold weather (if that is a concern) & I'm gathering that it is not.

It shouldn't hurt gas mileage at all once the car is warmed up and assuming normal outdoor ambient temperatures.

Not that I care in my case with 4:10's and a motor that will need a mixture of pump gas and race fuel....

Dave
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question--To Flap,or not to Flap? - 05/06/11 08:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With it out it'll destroy your gas mileage esp in cold weather (if that is a concern) & I'm gathering that it is not.

It shouldn't hurt gas mileage at all once the car is warmed up and assuming normal outdoor ambient temperatures.

What I was saying is that b 4 it gets warmed up your gas mileage will be destroyed which is imp in some apps
© 2024 Moparts Forums