Moparts

Sway bar problem, with pics

Posted By: BADBEE

Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 01:25 AM

I was under the front of my 70 Superbee tonight doing a little work and noticed that the passenger side sway bar washer was rubbing on the control arm. Upon further inspection I noticed that the front sway bar brackets were angled different. The drivers side was angled forward where the passenger side was angled back. It appears that by it being angled back it is pushing the bars attachment bolt back to far which is making it hit the control arm. Can someone with a 70 B-body look at the direction that their front brackets angle to confirm this?
Thanks

Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 01:32 AM

Looks like someone put the pass side bracket on backwards.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 01:36 AM

Or it took a hit.
Posted By: 70340

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 01:58 AM

the sway bar bolts to the link (long bolt) then the link bolts to the lower control arm with the long spacer between. You have the sway bar bolted directly to the control arm with no space between. This has also bent the frame bushing brackets.

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:08 AM

Well its been that way for a long time, I bought the car in 1979 and I have never had it off. Do you have a pic or a manual pic of how it should be assembled?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:12 AM

Those U clamps are bent. They should not "lean" forward or back I believe
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:17 AM

Those brackets are bent backward try to fix em or replace and get new links and bushings. Check for other damage too.
Posted By: 70340

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:25 AM

cuda challenger.com has a suspension section that can get you a similar assembly. Basically the link separates the bar from the control arm.

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:26 AM

Well thats what is weird, one side angles forward and the other back. Looks to me like the passenger side should be switched around to lean forward and that would move it away from interfering as it is now. Can someone check theirs on their car to verify if they should be angled or not?

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:29 AM

70340, I think you are interpreting the pics wrong, here are some pics that I think show that they are hooked up correctly,

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:31 AM

very simple there bent

Attached picture 4693496-2535990.JPG
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:33 AM

Quote:

Those U clamps are bent. They should not "lean" forward or back I believe

They both look damaged to me.

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:38 AM

OK. I'll buy that. Probably took a hit on the passenger side at some point and bent them in opposite directions. I was going to rebuild the front end this winter any way so I will get some new loops when I redo the front end.
Thanks guys.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:43 AM

Hey Jeff.
Looks to me like the sway bar is bent on the pass side also.

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 02:58 AM

Thanks Mark, I'll check it out once its off. Are you going to Monster Mopar this weekend? If so maybe I will see you there.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 04:16 AM

The brackets on the LCA's look like they are home made.

Attached picture 4693703-lca.JPG
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 04:49 AM

Attached picture 4693755-eblwr.jpg

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 05:10 AM

I dont think so,
they look just like what you have pictured when
you view them under the car.
My pics make it a little hard to see their shape, but they are definatly factory pieces.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 05:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mark, I'll check it out once its off. Are you going to Monster Mopar this weekend? If so maybe I will see you there.

Nope not going to make it this year, just too much to do here.
Posted By: 70SportSatellite

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 12:51 PM

the brackets holding the sway bar to the "K" frame are bent. Also, the sway bar appears to be installed upside down. IIRC the ends should be "frowning" when viewed from the side.

Attached picture 4694012-phpNwq2tZAM.jpg
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 01:32 PM

Both brackets are definitely slightly bent. No big deal to take them off, carefully straighten them and reassemble them, possibly with fresh rubber if you wish. This will pull the "washer" away from where it's rubbing on the lower control arm. If you are careful, you can do it without too much damage to the current appearance and patina of the parts. It looks like you have a nice rust free car there.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 03:09 PM

That sway bar bracket that houses the u-shaped was hit causing it to bend backwards causing the
rear part to contact the lower control arm.
Probably bent by pushing against or bump against those concrete parking bumps.

Re: Sway bar problem, with pics - 09/18/08 05:08 PM

Thanks guys for all of the input, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site . I will check these things out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums