Moparts

ECU problem on a 64 Fury

Posted By: 71pettyblue

ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 12:25 AM

Hi All,
Last Monday while troubleshooting a charging problem on a '64 Fury with electronic ignition, I found a bad connection where the ECU wire was connected to the blue wire at the ballast resistor. After repairing the connection, we started the car and it charged perfectly. After an hour went by, I attempted to start the motor but the ignition would not fire. I removed the ECU harness from the unit and after plugging it back on the motor fired. Yesterday, after letting the car sit for 3 days, the owner tried starting the motor and he called me to tell me it wouldn't fire. Last night I pulled the harness plug again, and it fired up the 3 times I tried it. Today, same problem!

The ECU is a chrome box, and I have no idea how old the harness is. Has anyone experienced this type of ignition problem?
Posted By: therocks

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 12:34 PM

Try another box.The chrome boxes are known for going bad.Most people carry a spare box along with a ballast resistor.Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 12:48 PM

Quote:

Try another box.The chrome boxes are known for going bad.Most people carry a spare box along with a ballast resistor.Rocky

rocky, i always thought the orange boxes were the problem ones. my chrome box is 31 years old and still going ! [you watch, now it will take a dump ! ]
Posted By: therocks

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 01:12 PM

Ny kid had 2 chromes that were bad new.He went orange then finally got smart and went full MSD.As for yours going that is usually what happens.Same thing I had with my Mallory dual point when I ran it.Told my kid it was in for 30 years.Two weeks later it crapped out.Murphys law.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 01:31 PM

Quote:

Has anyone experienced this type of ignition problem?

No I have not & I'm gonna guess an open somewhere (but where is the Q) rather than the ECU (or the coil or pickup)EDIT next time I'd check voltages without bumping any wires/connections as you dont want to disturb the open when it's open assuming that that's it. Holler what it turns out to b
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 04/30/11 03:53 PM

lates ones are prone to damage, either oranges and chromed

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 05/01/11 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No I have not & I'm gonna guess an open somewhere (but where is the Q) rather than the ECU (or the coil or pickup)EDIT next time I'd check voltages without bumping any wires/connections as you dont want to disturb the open when it's open assuming that that's it. Holler what it turns out to b

Will do!

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 05/03/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Will do!

It was the box, we installed an over the counter box and the motor starts right up. Thanks for the responses Guys!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ECU problem on a 64 Fury - 05/03/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

It was the box,

Success! That was sure easier than having to go thru all the wiring
© 2024 Moparts Forums