Moparts

BB Waterpump part numbers

Posted By: SPWC

BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/18/08 11:48 PM

Was looking at water pumps on Partsamerica.com. Checked the price for a 65 Fury III 383 and came up with a part number of 58173 for $29.99

I then checked for the 78 Cordoba 400 I own and it came back with a part number of 58176 with a price of $21.99

Thought parts such as waterpumps for the Big Blocks were all the same?

Where the difference in these 2 parts(if any)?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/18/08 11:53 PM

The impeller in the pump can have 6 or 8 vanes, 6-vane pumps are generally used with A/C where the pump is driven faster than crank speed; a '65 would most likely use the 8-vane pump.

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 12:27 AM

Would it do any harm to use the 78 400 Waterpump on my 65 383? Both vehicles are equipped with AC
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 12:41 AM

Quote:

Would it do any harm to use the 78 400 Waterpump on my 65 383? Both vehicles are equipped with AC

over 8 bucks ???

Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

over 8 bucks ???

Posted By: stumpy

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 02:56 AM

could the shafts be different lengths causing one be be closer to the rad? Use the one the book calls for and save yourself some possible grief.

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 03:44 AM

Quote:

over 8 bucks ???

The money part isnt an issue. I was told that a BB water pump is a BB Water pump,and that they ALL interchange --PERIOD

Obviously that MAY not be the case.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 03:51 AM

they ALL should interchange.. there may be some oddball exceptions though.

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

over 8 bucks ???

The money part isnt an issue. I was told that a BB water pump is a BB Water pump,and that they ALL interchange --PERIOD

Obviously that MAY not be the case.

the difference is the blade count .

i just find it funny that you are over 8 bucks , if it were 30 - 50 bucks , yes , but 8 ????

have them get both and compare them ???? oh , that would be too easy

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 03:13 PM

Im not over 8 bucks. I saw the part numbers awee different so I figured the parts were totally different. So JOHN RR, tell me how I am supposed to compare the 2 parts side by side when noone locally has them in stock and they have to be ordered

When I order them they have to be prepaid!!

Not as easy as you think!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 03:19 PM

yah it is easy.. order the 8 or 6 blade impeller one call it a day.
getting a waterpump shouldn't be a Jerry Springer show.

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 04:00 PM

Quote:

Im not over 8 bucks. I saw the part numbers awee different so I figured the parts were totally different. So JOHN RR, tell me how I am supposed to compare the 2 parts side by side when noone locally has them in stock and they have to be ordered

When I order them they have to be prepaid!!

Not as easy as you think!!

it's easier than you're making it out to be .
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/19/08 09:27 PM

Quote:

Check your pulley diameters, if the crank pulley and WP pulley are close to the same diameter use the 8-vane pump A/C or not. Later A/C cars had smaller WP pulleys to overdrive the fan/pump 140%.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/20/08 12:20 AM

Wait a minute. I understand not wanting to order two parts just to do a comparison, but you already have both in your possesion. A big block WP is held on by what? four bolts? Yank both of them and do a side by side comparo.

I betcha its just a matter of fin count as already mentioned. I'd also be willing to bet that even though there are two different part numbers, the older one has been superceeded by the newer one.

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/20/08 12:23 AM

Ya know I never thought5 of that!!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: BB Waterpump part numbers - 05/20/08 12:26 AM

Quote:

Ya know I never thought5 of that!!

and buy an extra gasket while you're at it!
© 2024 Moparts Forums