Moparts

Overcharging issue

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Overcharging issue - 04/27/11 05:50 PM

Out of the blue. My car all of the sudden started over charging. Its fine at idle as soon as I hit the gas it pegs on the plus side & I get feedback through me radio speakers until I hit second gear & then it comes back down to just over 0 on the amp gauge. I tried 2 other ballast resistors & 2 regulators I had laying around (same thing). I am going to test the alternator next. What else could it be & why would it quit overcharging after hitting second gear? weird?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/27/11 05:57 PM

its RPMs related.

ballast has nothing to do with.

check loseen conectors at bulkhead and ammeter.

Battery conditions.

alternator check is good too
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/27/11 06:00 PM

Mine was doing the same thing and found loose connections on the field terminals at the alternator.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/27/11 07:39 PM

Remove the green field wire from the alternator and see if it still charges high, if it does the alternator has an internal short.

If removing the green wire results in zero charge, check the green wire along it's entire length for a short to ground; it's common for the wire to short where it runs along the valve cover.
Posted By: AK_JH27

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/27/11 10:00 PM

how can you test the charging system?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/28/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

& I get feedback through me radio speakers until I hit second gear & then it comes back down to just over 0 on the amp gauge. What else could it be

alt. but as said do check the brushholders etc for any obvious loose parts/connections b 4 you take it in

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/28/11 07:04 PM

I didn't have time to mess with it last night. Maybe tonight. I did check all of the connections & all seem to be good & tight. I'll do the green wire check tonight.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/28/11 07:20 PM

Quote:

Out of the blue. My car all of the sudden started over charging. Its fine at idle as soon as I hit the gas it pegs on the plus side & I get feedback through me radio speakers until I hit second gear & then it comes back down to just over 0 on the amp gauge. I tried 2 other ballast resistors & 2 regulators I had laying around (same thing). I am going to test the alternator next. What else could it be & why would it quit overcharging after hitting second gear? weird?

Check the voltage regulator, make sure it is grounded well to bare metal..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Overcharging issue - 04/28/11 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Check the voltage regulator, make sure it is grounded well to bare metal..

Just my $0.02...

Yes, it was, but Thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums