Moparts

Bleeding TF 727

Posted By: 74-440Charger

Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 12:27 AM

My TF 727 is bleeding to death! The gasket where the tailshaft connects to the trans, from the shifter shaft or the kickdown shaft. started slow, changed the pan gasket twice before I figured out there were multiple leaks. No idea how to get one of these things apart, is there a good book out there? It's been in the car about 10 years and still shifts great, how much should it cost to get it sealed up? Thanks
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 12:32 AM

Have you located the exact place where it is leaking ? ... baby powder works good.
Posted By: eightlitermopar

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 12:36 AM

Don't freak out quite yet. Mine always would finally seal then die on me internally!

The shift lever seal was a problem on my brothers car, leaked like it had a bullet hole in it.

Just be careful replacing it...one tweak and you need another one.

If you need a book. The A-727 book by Carl H. Munroe is what I used during my rebuild.

eight
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 12:50 AM

Thanks, I'll look for the book, hate to throw money at any of the trans shops around here. Only checked one shop so far but he wanted $700 + parts to tear it down inspect and seal it up. More if it needed more work. For that price I may as well buy a new one.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 01:28 AM

What Doc said, car wash wand clean it, bring it home, spray it w baby powder, run it, find (& post) where the leak is. someone (on here) had a good trick for getting the powder up in there but I dont remem what it was. find/deal w the leak & you're all set & I'd do that b 4 I splurged for the book. EDIT some leaks you need to let it sit w the baby powder overnight & check it in the AM
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 01:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I'll look for the book, hate to throw money at any of the trans shops around here. Only checked one shop so far but he wanted $700 + parts to tear it down inspect and seal it up. More if it needed more work. For that price I may as well buy a new one.

700 beans ? ... and maybe more ? .... to that shop. NOTHING but CROOKS ..

IF IT IS that shifter seal ... there is MORE to it than just a new seal. NOT to worry ,.... it is just a time on your part to do-it right !
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Bleeding TF 727 - 04/26/11 01:57 AM

Quote:

Don't freak out quite yet. Mine always would finally seal then die on me internally!

The shift lever seal was a problem on my brothers car, leaked like it had a bullet hole in it.

Just be careful replacing it...one tweak and you need another one.

If you need a book. The A-727 book by Carl H. Munroe is what I used during my rebuild.

eight

Not sure about the Munroe book but do NOT get the ASTG book. It is only a reprint of the service manual with a few service bulletins included. At least the factory service manual has a tutorial on the hydraulic circuits and model specific items like shifter linkage that the ASTG does not.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums