Moparts

Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild?

Posted By: cdp

Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 07:30 PM

OK, can someone explain to me why it cost 2k for a transmission rebuild in my 97-360/2wd truck?

Is there somewhere I can buy a rebuilt transmission outright for about $1000?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 08:06 PM

Why does it cost that much? Because there are a lot of parts. Then they have to cover any future warranty work, etc.

Here's a guide to reassemble one with a ton of pictures.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/46re-tutorial-911009/
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 08:15 PM

Quote:

OK, can someone explain to me why it cost 2k for a transmission rebuild in my 97-360/2wd truck?

Is there somewhere I can buy a rebuilt transmission outright for about $1000?

If you want to save money, pull it yourself and bring it in.
But doing it that way, it can't be scanned...

No you wont get a rebuilt 46re for anywhere near 100 bucks. it will likely cost over 2000 bucks anywhere. Sometimes over 3000.

Too bad you're not closer. I have one with maybe 200 miles on it that I am replacing with a 727. I just wont ship it.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 08:19 PM

Quote:

I had a '97 360 4x4 with a blown trans. They wanted $2200-$2400 here in NJ to rebuild it and that was a local guy with great references, not some chain store/AAMCO.

I sold it as-is on ebay because it was nickle and diming me to death.
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 08:45 PM

In our 98 Durango the 44re went out and it was 1600$ to get a remanufactured unit. The first one leaked with a cracked case and now the second one is leaking as well. This was done back in January. Don't buy a transmission from advanced auto in my opinion. Having to do all the steps to get it in and out wasn't worth the trouble.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 08:53 PM

I realize there are allot of parts/sub assemblies, but from what I've looked at, a whole rebuild kit can be had for less than $200.

I guess if you consider warranty, then that could drive up the costs.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

I realize there are allot of parts/sub assemblies, but from what I've looked at, a whole rebuild kit can be had for less than $200.

We did a friend of mines 46RE in 97 Ram...

between 300-400 bucks including remanufactured converter...

I did a 46RH for around 400 bucks...include converter and replaced the solenoids, and both sprags...
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/25/11 11:34 PM

damn when mine was done, I pulled it and took it to a trans place, it was under 750 to have that done, they had to replace the planetary gears set and clutches.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

now add the cost of a bushing kit,band,gov sol and transducer,the od bearing and plate,the filter,torque converter all these are something a normal overhaul will need if is done correctly now add some ones labor and the cost of fluid and let the shop make a little profit to cover the warranty you get.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

and let the shop make a little profit to cover the warranty you get.

OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shops are never supposed to make profit on anything. (At least from what I gather reading threads on the Internet)
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 02:01 AM

I know where you can buy one here locally off the shelf for $850.00, that includes a rebuilt converter and the tax. It comes with a 90 day warranty. If they install it the price is $1050.00 in a 2WD pickup. It then has a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. P.M. me if you are interested.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shops are never supposed to make profit on anything. (At least from what I gather reading threads on moparts)

There!, fixed your quote ........I gladly paid the shop the $2200 they wanted to rebuild the piss poor designed/engineered POS transmission in my 99 Ram 4X4,....because it would have went to the scrapper before I would have wasted my time under it,....I can rebuild anything, and have for decades, but I draw the line working on piss poor designed crap,....the 94-up Dodge truck line drivelines are, and have been a joke for decades,....sad
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 05:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There!, fixed your quote ........I gladly paid the shop the $2200 they wanted to rebuild the piss poor designed/engineered POS transmission in my 99 Ram 4X4,....because it would have went to the scrapper before I would have wasted my time under it,....I can rebuild anything, and have for decades, but I draw the line working on piss poor designed crap,....the 94-up Dodge truck line drivelines are, and have been a joke for decades,....sad

I'll drink to that
Posted By: fox

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 12:44 PM

The 46-47-48 series doge autos are not a junk design.
They were poorly assembled and set up with much too low pressures.
Get the clearances right and pressures right and they hold a lot of torque.
The faster chevy duramaxes are using this trans instead of the allison!!! The Cummins does not hurt them if set up right.
They are a basic 727 auto from the 60's with OD on it.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 01:19 PM

No legitimate shop can properly overhaul one of these and give you a real warranty for under a grand. No way..

MB
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

The faster chevy duramaxes are using this trans instead of the allison!!! The Cummins does not hurt them if set up right.

What he said .
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: Cost of 46RE Transmission rebuild? - 04/26/11 08:47 PM

Quote:

Hmm... I need to get my hands on this info on modification. Does the same apply to newer 45 and 545 rfe transmissions? A friends ram 2006 that is, transmission gave out at 60,000 miles
© 2024 Moparts Forums