Moparts

Convertible Top Install at Home?

Posted By: SCATPK

Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 03:34 AM

Bought a new dark blue top for my 66 dart and thinking about trying to install it myself, how hard of a project is it? The frame is in great condition, and bought new cables and tack strips. Anything to look out for or any special tools required. I know a heat gun is helpful and have one, thinking it does not look to tough looking at the installation instructions. Did buy a canvas top instead of the original vinyl, anything I need to know when dealing with this material?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 03:53 AM

My buddy thats not a professional upholstery guy but has done a few dozen tops tells me mostly they aren't to bad.... But he also mentioned he did one canvas (Hartz cloth) top & said he'd refer any others that come his way to a pro....

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 04:04 AM

Think I will ask around about installing a canvas top before I tackle the job. Whats a fair price to have it installed?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 04:50 AM

My buddy charged me $600, very nice work.. A local shop quoted $1100 & I've seen their work, not as detail oriented as my buddy but better than Cesaer's Tapiceria...
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 05:31 AM

I'm about to tackle my first, but with six convertibles around it's really about time. Then again, this is on a convertible that we've already sold, so I get to learn on somebody else's car.......

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/25/11 05:54 AM

Think I will lay the new top over the current one and get a better look at what I am dealing with. I redid the seats and interior of the car a few years ago and it did not come out half bad.

Attached picture 6601809-DSC00374(Large).JPG
Posted By: rth

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/26/11 01:37 AM

i did one e-body and most recentlya b-body.not too hard to do.if u have old one to help with measurement and positions for metal strips helps.also found if you don't have a strong staplegun use tacks and hammer.take your time and good luck.

Attached picture 6603113-harryscar.jpg
Posted By: dan9

Re: Convertible Top Install at Home? - 04/26/11 02:26 PM

I've done two and i'm not a pro. It isn't really hard it just takes patience. It would be best to get an upholstery manual. To greatly help putting the new one on you need measurements from the old top. Some i remember are location of the rear bow and wooden tack strips location. These require stappling so you want them in the right place the first time. I just did a 76 beetle that had no top and the manual really helped. It is a very rewarding job for someone to do themselves.
© 2024 Moparts Forums