Moparts

Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight?

Posted By: bill440cars

Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 06:49 PM

Anyone know, right off, what kind of weight I might drop, by going to an aluminum water pump and housing? Seems like it would help, at least. Input appreciated. BTW, we're talking about a 440 that's going into a '92 Dakota.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 06:50 PM

I would think 6-8 lbs. Not really worth the cost and not much of a weight loss. If you add in aluminum heads and intake though, it starts to add up.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 06:57 PM

I'm thinking more than 6-8 lbs. I just weighed a stock BB housing (no Water pump) and its 17 lbs. Anybody got an aluminum one laying around to weigh?

I know the water pump savings is really slight--maybe a pound, simply because they are so small.

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:16 PM

I knew that the pump itself wouldn't make much difference, but I can get the pump and the housing for about $100 and I already have an Edelbrock 6 Pack manifold. I'm not financially able to go as far as aluminum heads though. I was just thinking about adding the aluminum housing and pump, to help take some off of the weight of the engine itself. Of course, it also helps in the looks department as well. I WOULD be interested in knowing thew weight of the aluminum pieces, just to see the difference. Appreciate the input. I would think the difference would be worthwhile, but thought I'd throw it out there, to see if I could find out how MUCH difference there was. Thanks.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:30 PM

I just weighed the set from Mancini and they weigh in at

4.6 pounds for the housing
2.6 pounds for the pump

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:36 PM

So the housing alone is 17-4.6 = 12.4 lbs.

Sounds like about $10/lb of savings. Not the cheapest, but if your on a diet....

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:38 PM

My numbers are from an aluminum set...You mentioned the 17 lbs was for a cast iron though

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:45 PM

Quote:

My numbers are from an aluminum set...You mentioned the 17 lbs was for a cast iron though

Correct. So the AL housing is a 12.4lb (+/- a bit for error, I used a bathroom scale ) savings. Maybe 1- 1.5 lbs for the pump?

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Correct. So the AL housing is a 12.4lb (+/- a bit for error, I used a bathroom scale ) savings. Maybe 1- 1.5 lbs for the pump?

Oh SAVINGS....I thought you were trying to say it was the actual weight....I tried the bathroom scale too...didnt work out too well...I just baptized my kitchen counter cooking scale with car parts.

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:51 PM

With 12.4 lbs difference in the the water pump housing, the difference between a stock intake and the aluminum Edelbrock and whatever the little dab of difference between the aluminum water pump and the stock one would be, will help some, in getting a little weight off of the front end. All the A/C stuff will be gone and the battery is going to the bed of the truck. I know the 440 is pretty heavy by itself and I'm trying to drop a little of that, if I can. Again, I appreciate the input here. Bill

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 07:57 PM

Quote:

With 12.4 lbs difference in the the water pump housing, the difference between a stock intake and the aluminum Edelbrock and whatever the little dab of difference between the aluminum water pump and the stock one would be, will help some, in getting a little weight off of the front end. All the A/C stuff will be gone and the battery is going to the bed of the truck. I know the 440 is pretty heavy by itself and I'm trying to drop a little of that, if I can. Again, I appreciate the input here. Bill

Those combined changes are probably more than the difference between an RB and and LA engine. At least on the front end.
Now imagine a set of eddy or source heads.

Course you're still handicapped by the fact you're dealing with a TRUCK. What does IT weigh?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 10:00 PM

Apples to apples comparison between iron and aluminum on the same scale two minutes apart. 7.6 lbs difference.

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Those combined changes are probably more than the difference between an RB and and LA engine. At least on the front end.
Now imagine a set of eddy or source heads.

Course you're still handicapped by the fact you're dealing with a TRUCK. What does IT weigh?

I hear ya, on the heads, but with what I've got going, I can't swing a set of heads. I've also got a slightly modded '07 Charger R/T, a (also slightly modded) '69 Plymouth GTX, an '85 Shelby Charger (Turbo) that is pretty nicely modded and some motorcycles, to include an '80 Honda CBX and an '83 Kawasaki GPZ1100. Not much money to spare, especially considering what I've already got in the Dakota and I've got to do some work on the GTX.

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/24/11 10:21 PM

Quote:

Apples to apples comparison between iron and aluminum on the same scale two minutes apart. 7.6 lbs difference.

Have to say, right here, that I'm liking you Charger. I had a red '66 (383/4sp/Sure Grip), back in '69 and that one was a great runner. Beautiful car and performed pretty good, for being stock. Wish I still had THAT ONE.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/25/11 12:39 AM

Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/25/11 12:43 AM

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/36.html

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/25/11 04:09 AM

Quote:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/36.html

Thanks for that, I hadn't even thought about the starter at this point.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/25/11 04:02 PM

Aluminum housing, yes, but there's not much to gain with the aluminum pumps. They are so thick that some OEM iron pumps weigh the same.
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/25/11 10:46 PM

I have one you could have for free... but it's in Australia
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Aluminum Water Pump and Housing VS Stock, For Weight? - 04/26/11 02:15 AM

When I added more fruits/veggies to my diet & took up jogging I lost 50 lbs. Sorry just couldn't resist
© 2024 Moparts Forums