Moparts

Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc??

Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 05:23 AM

I have a new never installed factory style 18 spline clutch disc that got some oil/grease spilled on to the friction surfaces. Can I clean this well enough to use safely with brake cleaner or is there another trick out there that is more full proof? Thanks!
Posted By: wicked

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 06:38 AM

The oil embeds in the friction material, think your best choice is another one.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 07:33 AM

yep they're cheap you need a new one.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 12:31 PM

It may not be ideal, but a good long blast of brake cleaner will remove most of the oil.
Posted By: GTXX

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 02:51 PM

I've seen truck mechanics use a propane torch and lots of rags on brake shoes after replacing an axle seal. The clutch disc is the same stuff, but my guess is that it won't ever be as good as new no matter what you do.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

I've seen truck mechanics use a propane torch and lots of rags on brake shoes after replacing an axle seal. The clutch disc is the same stuff, but my guess is that it won't ever be as good as new no matter what you do.

Steam pressure washer works good for oilly brake shoes/pads.

But considing what tough job it is pulling the trans, I'd replace it. My
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steam pressure washer works good for oilly brake shoes/pads.

But considing what tough job it is pulling the trans, I replace it. My

I've had it work.....BUT, Not often enoguh to take the chance...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 04:15 PM

I've clean oil soaked brake shoes with brake cleaner and they are fine but a Clutch Disc???? I agree--too much work if it slips. Buy a new one.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 06:08 PM

I have successfully re-used brake shoes that got oiled down from a faulty axle seal by burning the oil out with a torch. If it was me I'd buy a new disc unless this is a budget beater or winter car.

Your other option is to take it to a clutch shop and have them look at it.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/24/11 06:28 PM

Suppose you do get it cleaned real good and it slips after all that work. Replace it now and save yourself a headache later on.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Best way to clean oil/grease from clutch disc?? - 04/26/11 12:26 PM

Many years ago I had some brake shoes that were covered in fluid from a leaky wheel cylinder.

I put them in my Mum's oven while she was out (can't believe I did that!) and they were as good as new!

But would make sure you do it outside or in an old oven. Or as others have said with the effort of doing it again if it didn't work, think about getting a new one....
© 2024 Moparts Forums