Moparts

Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408?

Posted By: JSR1485

Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 10:15 PM

I am in process of switching my Duster from a race car back to a street car. I am putting a 408 and 4 speed in it. anybody run a Thermo quad or think it would work well on a stroker and be responsive on the street? I building this to be a driver more than just a steet/strip car.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 10:26 PM

Thermo
Posted By: coronet1966d

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 10:52 PM

Quote:

Thermo

why all the opinions in Q&A? obviously some people dont like these carbs but why post if you dont have anything constructive to add?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 10:53 PM

Factory put them on 318's and 440's, so there is a way for sure.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thermo

why all the opinions in Q&A? obviously some people dont like these carbs but why post if you dont have anything constructive to add?

there machanical & ability to read a service manual skills are lacking
Posted By: MoparDan

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 11:05 PM

If you have one built right and tuned- They are awesome!! carbs (750-900+ cfm) Demon-sizzler in GA (he built mine) or Scott Smith Harms in Spokane, both build these carb to run. I have a 416 sb and if I keep my foot off it, you will get fair/decent mileage..and if you stomp it (no bog with mine) my rear tires go up in smoke..big power!
Posted By: topside

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/22/11 11:24 PM

Ran a Demonsizzler TQ on my 406" SB Duster street car; probably the best throttle response of anything I've driven on the street. Pulled 17MPG @ 70, too. Performer intake.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 12:11 AM

I run one (4972) on my 340 (stroked to 426) it's a pump gas engine that makes 450HP and 495 TQ running a stock intake and stock exhaust manifolds. I swapped on an AVS and an 850 Holley while it was on the dyno, the TQ gave the best overall numbers.

*As others have mentioned, I can build you a TQ if you need one

Attached picture 6597851-4972Thermoquad(7).JPG
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 01:32 AM

love them, had one build by Demon sizzler @ Thermoquads.com
Posted By: B7Satellite

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? *DELETED* - 04/23/11 01:36 AM

Post deleted by 1970B7RH27
Posted By: JSR1485

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 01:44 AM

Thanks guys for info and Scott I will have to give you a call
Posted By: DEMONSIZZLER

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 02:06 AM

The important thing about a T.Q. is actually in selecting the larger cfm 850 cfm on a performance engine. And it is critical that the jetting parameters be set also to accommodate the non stock engine. Examples would be bolt on mods such as headers, aftermarket intake, different cam ect. Once the jetting parameters are set, the carb is very hard to beat in both gas mileage and performance.

As others have said above, the power is there! And a T.Q. is a very reliable carb and fine tuning is done externally via easy-to-do adjustments for all 4 circuits:
accelerator pump shot,
idle circuit,
cruise circuit
and wot circuit.

That is the beauty of the great carb! Normal driving is smooth but when you go wot, performance is as good as any other 4 bbl carb. So as alluded to above, a T.Q. will work great on a small block stroker, David.

Attached picture 6598043-9036ruth001.jpg

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 02:16 AM

I don't have any problem sharing the details of my build, it's actually a pretty mild engine all things considered. I went with some expensive parts but most were certainly overkill and not required to make dependable HP on the street. Here are the basics:

Mopar Performance "Resto" 340 block, custom lightened by Ryan J at Shady Dell Machine, bushed for a roller cam later on
Iron 915 "J" heads with A LOT of port work (flow in the high 200's)
T&D rocker gear with 1.6 ratio
Stainless Ferrea valves
Beehive springs
Custom Comp Hyd. Flat Tappet cam = Gross numbers 551Intake/542exaust, I've been sworn to secrecy on the rest of the grind details
Scat Lightweight Forged 4.125 Stroker Crank
Carillo Steel Rods
ARP bolts throughout
Diamond forged lightweight pistons (9.6:1)
4972 TQ carb
Stock 1971 TQ intake with zero mods
Stock 1971 340 exhaust manifolds = Extrude Honed

I've dynod it twice now because of a head swap, the latest set of heads (detailed above) gained 20HP, TQ remained the same. Latest dyno runs made on 92 octane pump gas.

My goal was to build a FAST legal stock appearing engine that could also be run on the street with pump gas. Because of the compromise I won't be setting any FAST records but I'll certainly enjoy waxing off the locals with my "Stock" 340 Duster

*BTW, if 100% originallity is not a major concern the new RHS iron heads ported by Brian (member OU812) are a steal and will net you similar flow numbers that I got without spending a small fortune. If you build a solid lower end and have money leftover put as much money into the heads as you can, that's where the bulk of the potential HP is usually hiding, opening up your intake and exhaust to match will complete the package. After that you can hunt for the extra hidden HP in cams, timing, jet changes and other smaller tweaks. I'm not an engine builder but I've paid for a few good ones and that's been my experience.

My next engine will be a 440 cube stroker based off of a 4.25" crank and an original 340 block (a good one I have that passed a sonic check for core shift). It will be a dedicated FAST engine with all of the go fast FAST tricks (high compression, big roller cam, aluminum rods, etc.etc.).
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 02:29 AM

I ran a stock thermoquad for years on a stock untouched, unopened smogger 440. A couple of friends of mine who drive old small block trucks were always mad at me for how great my car ran/drove and what great cold start and driveability manners mine had when their jalopies would be lucky to start on a cool day. Ran the same carb when I did some mods like heads, cam, headers, etc and with some tuning it still drove very nice on the street. My truck friends gave up and went to fuel injected models.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 03:40 AM

Quote:

I don't have any problem sharing the details of my build, it's actually a pretty mild engine all things considered. I went with some expensive parts but most were certainly overkill and not required to make dependable HP on the street. Here are the basics:

Mopar Performance "Resto" 340 block, custom lightened by Ryan J at Shady Dell Machine, bushed for a roller cam later on
Iron 915 "J" heads with A LOT of port work (flow in the high 200's)
T&D rocker gear with 1.6 ratio
Stainless Ferrea valves
Beehive springs
Custom Comp Hyd. Flat Tappet cam = Gross numbers 551Intake/542exaust, I've been sworn to secrecy on the rest of the grind details
Scat Lightweight Forged 4.125 Stroker Crank
Carillo Steel Rods
ARP bolts throughout
Diamond forged lightweight pistons (9.6:1)
4972 TQ carb
Stock 1971 TQ intake with zero mods
Stock 1971 340 exhaust manifolds = Extrude Honed

I've dynod it twice now because of a head swap, the latest set of heads (detailed above) gained 20HP, TQ remained the same. Latest dyno runs made on 92 octane pump gas.

My goal was to build a FAST legal stock appearing engine that could also be run on the street with pump gas. Because of the compromise I won't be setting any FAST records but I'll certainly enjoy waxing off the locals with my "Stock" 340 Duster

*BTW, if 100% originallity is not a major concern the new RHS iron heads ported by Brian (member OU812) are a steal and will net you similar flow numbers that I got without spending a small fortune. If you build a solid lower end and have money leftover put as much money into the heads as you can, that's where the bulk of the potential HP is usually hiding, opening up your intake and exhaust to match will complete the package. After that you can hunt for the extra hidden HP in cams, timing, jet changes and other smaller tweaks. I'm not an engine builder but I've paid for a few good ones and that's been my experience.

My next engine will be a 440 cube stroker based off of a 4.25" crank and an original 340 block (a good one I have that passed a sonic check for core shift). It will be a dedicated FAST engine with all of the go fast FAST tricks (high compression, big roller cam, aluminum rods, etc.etc.).

man i'd love to see what a modified intake would do i have about 25 to 30 hours in this thing plenum work, deep gasket match, roof and walls worked, radius all the turns (hardest and most time consuming part)

Attached picture 6598250-71Demon340(92).jpg

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 04:51 AM

Yes, the general concensus was that the stock intake was the "cork" in my combo, increasing plenum volume would almost certainly be a pretty big boost in HP, especially in the higher RPM range. MY AF ratio was hovering around 13:1 with stock jetting and a choke in place (which was suprising, jetting bigger actually hurt the numbers). I'm sure that with the ported intake the carb would need some work to match the added volume, the general plan would be to eliminate the choke, make some adjustments, run it to get a baseline then rejet/rod, and give it some further flogs on the dyno to check the results before making other changes. For now I'm happy with what I have so no immediate changes are planned for my current engine, however the next engine package will definately include a worked intake.

*If you care to donate your worked over intake I'll gladly accept it
Posted By: LikarockCrusher

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 12:00 PM

Yeah, this seems to be a hot topic. But that aside a member on here ut KYmudder runs a 496 stroker with demonsizzler set up thermaquad. And has out ran bigger cubic inch chevy strokers with dominators.

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/23/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, this seems to be a hot topic. But that aside a member on here ut KYmudder runs a 496 stroker with demonsizzler set up thermaquad. And has out ran bigger cubic inch chevy strokers with dominators.

That is Mike! He has a really great mud racer Dodge truck that puts the screws to the Ford and Chevys! He runs my MonsterQuad on that truck and has had great success racing, David.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/24/11 05:01 AM

My stroked 318/390 - M1 intake, .5" spacer.

....ran 425 FWHP with a 800cfm TQ - completely un-modded except for the choke shaft being removed.

I swapped to an Eddie Thunder 800cfm and made 10 Rear Wheel HP more.

I'm sure if I'd used a modded 850cfm TQ it would have out ran the Thunder.

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/24/11 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is Mike! He has a really great mud racer Dodge truck that puts the screws to the Ford and Chevys! He runs my MonsterQuad on that truck and has had great success racing, David.

Yeah, Mike Smith he's a good ol'boy. He said that carb has left alot of them guys scratching their heads.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/24/11 04:14 PM

yes i think it would be great if tuned properly,, id like to replace my holley for a TQ

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/24/11 05:29 PM

Yeah Mike drives the Chevy and Ford guys crazy! They run Dominator carbs and larger cu. in. motors and he STILL beats them!

Don't get me wrong, his T.Q. is my most hi tech T.Q. to date. I spent about 8 hrs just on mods to the top, bowl and base. Also had to open up the fuel entry rails to support a 600+ hp 493 Mopar motor with enough fuel flow. But the carb works and so does the 2nd one I built for Tim's
Dodge mud racer, David.
Posted By: 71Dusterdan

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/25/11 01:49 AM

I put a TQ on 89 ford F250, it was a stock TQ, ran awesome. Had Demonsizzler build one for me for the same truck, never got put on, however I am dying to get the Duster done so I can put it on there. I'll take every TQ you guys wanna get rid of!
Posted By: dodgedude4x4

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/25/11 03:08 AM

Thermoquad

Attached picture 6601492-8_29_20099_42PM_0003.jpg

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/26/11 01:10 AM

Hey, Tim you ever bet them Hoskins? As in Jason and Jerry in them chevy's?
Posted By: dodgedude4x4

Re: Would a Thermo Quad work on a 408? - 04/26/11 01:51 AM

Havent raced jason yet , i beat jerry once but he broke at 3/4 track.
Thems some good ol boys

Attached picture 6603144-8_29_20099_42PM_0001.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums