Moparts

American Racing Center Caps?

Posted By: Junky

American Racing Center Caps? - 04/18/11 02:10 AM

I have T70R American Racing wheels with snap-in center caps on my '65 Coronet. I'll be getting new front tires. The center caps need to be removed, but how. They are a plastic material. I'm afraid I'll break the cap taking it out. What's the trick?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/18/11 02:38 AM

can you go from the backside, with a large socket and extension, and tap it out? something like a 2 inch? wash it off first, to remove any sand or dirt. been a while, but i use a big socket, to pop mine off, if they're stuck.

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/18/11 03:21 PM

The hole in the center of the wheel where the cap snaps in is well over 2". The cap has naps like flat fingers with hooks on the end, which are tight once snapped in. They'll break if squeezed on too hard to remove the cap. The design sucks.

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/19/11 12:15 AM

Hello? I know you're there. I can hear ya breathing.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/19/11 01:51 AM

if you're afraid to do it yourself, since i mentioned how it's done, let the tire shop do it. they should be used to seeing all types of wheels. if they break one, it's on them to replace it.

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/19/11 03:15 PM

Quote:

if you're afraid to do it yourself, since i mentioned how it's done, let the tire shop do it. they should be used to seeing all types of wheels. if they break one, it's on them to replace it.

Will do. Actually, I didn't understand your instructions. Since I re-read it, now I do.
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/19/11 03:39 PM

How about gently tightening a large jubilee clip around the inside and pushing them out? Works on the 200s caps....

Re: American Racing Center Caps? - 04/19/11 04:24 PM

Quote:

How about gently tightening a large jubilee clip around the inside and pushing them out? Works on the 200s caps....

© 2024 Moparts Forums