Moparts

Help me read my plugs

Posted By: Chilort

Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:07 AM

After an afternoon of working in the yard I finally found a couple hours to spare before dark. I threw some new Autolite plugs in my 440. These are the Autolite equivalent of the RC12YC Champion.

I'm still trying to make my part throttle ping go away. I played with the fuel quite a bit the last time I worked on it (I don't have much free time these days). I wanted to make sure I wasn't to rich. I upped the jets in the carb quite a bit before giving last time.

In 26 miles of driving I had several full throttle goes from 1st, through 2nd, and let off a bit before 3rd. I never pulled over to read the plugs right after a pull though.

Here's what #4 looked like when I got home (Autolite plug so the base is black, that isn't oil).

P1230002 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230004 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230005 by chilort, on Flickr

Here's the #8 plug:

P1230006 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230007 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230008 by chilort, on Flickr

Thoughts?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:11 AM

I need better pics to see the timing mark on the strap, and I need a shot down the plug....Tough to see anything in those pics. If the discoloration on the strap is right in the one pics, it shows the heat range too hot. Meaning you need a colder plug. Also, reading plugs can only be done at maximum load. You have to shut it off and read them, otherwise all is out the window.

The ignition timing can be checked by looking at the color of the plug’s ground strap and the position of the "blue line" on the strap. The blue line really indicates the point at which the strap has reached annealing temperature of the metal. Further down the strap, the more timing is in the engine....

Ideally, you want this blue line to be just below where the ground strap makes the sharp bend and above the weld. If you advance the ignition too far the blue will disappear off the strap and the strap will pick up rainbow colors (blues and greens)

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

I need better pics to see the timing mark on the strap, and I need a shot down the plug....Tough to see anything in those pics. If the discoloration on the strap is right in the one pics, it shows the heat range too hot. Meaning you need a colder plug.

The ignition timing can be checked by looking at the color of the plug’s ground strap and the position of the "blue line" on the strap. The blue line really indicates the point at which the strap has reached annealing temperature of the metal.

Good info. I have no clue whatsoever about reading plugs other than the pictures I can find on the internet from a Haynes manual, which my engine builder says are worthless with modern gas . I'll get more tomorrow with my wife's good camera.

Thanks.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:22 AM

What compression is the engine? The plug range is usually determined by compression....

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:25 AM

Around 9.2:1 with Eddy heads. It is a terrible setup. Pistons are 0.100 in the hole. I tried reusing some old slugs that weren't really that worn out (long, long, long story where I was tripping over dollars to pick up dimes).
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:37 AM

Part throttle ping can be too much vacuum advance?? did you make sure it's on ported vacuum and dial some back with a 3/32 allan wrench in through the vacuum port on the vacuum canister on the dizzy??

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:43 AM

Been trying to clean up my part throttle ping with no vacuum advance attached.

Engine seems to want a lot of initial (19-20*) and nothing else. ...well, not much else.

One thought was that I wasn't getting enough fuel so I converted my el cheapo 750 Holley to one where I could change the jets on all 4 corners and bumped up the jets a number of sizes.

Been playing with this for a little under a year when I get free time. Mostly just trying to see what folks think the plugs are saying.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:50 AM

If you have a part-throttle ping AND you are using the vacuum advance, the vacuum canister is adjustable by inserting a 3/32 Allen wrench into the canister (where the hose goes) and turning it one way or another. This may not change the total advance as it adjusts how sensitive the vacuum advance is to the vacuum signal, not the total amount of advance when under a high vacuum signal. You can limit the total amount of vacuum advance by limiting the travel of the arm on the canister.

If using the vacuum advance, try disconnecting it and see if the engine still pings. If not, limit the total vacuum advance (I believe stock is 15 degrees added to total timing (initial + mechanical)).

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 01:17 PM

What carb you running now?? does it have a power valve. too low a number on the power valve will not let it work at light throttle acceleration where it is supposed to and it will lean ping.
For stock applications with high in gear vacuum 1/2 is ok 16 to 17 maybe an 8.5

For modified aplications 1.5 to 3 numbers below in gear idle vacuum. Just enough to keep it closed.

So 10 in gear vacuum maybe a 7.5 (or 6.5) 8.5 in gear and a 6.5 should work great. 7 in gear and you want a 5 or 5.5 aas long as it stays closed at idle!

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 03:46 PM

Holley 750 80508S that I've converted to 4150.

I believe the power valve that is in it is a 6.5.

I have about 10inhg in gear at idle.

I was told at one point that I might need a high flow power valve.

My pinging, being a part throttle deal, happens most when I actually have fairly high engine vacuum (15inhg) and seems to go away at lower vacuum levels (i.e. when I give it more gas).
Posted By: fury4speed

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 04:20 PM

How many miles on the plugs? there either new or the Enging is running very "lean"

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/17/11 07:25 PM

They had 26 miles on them when I put the photos up. Now they have about 50 but mostly at idle and cruising around town. I'm about to pull a couple and take some more photos.

Edit: photos (8, 6, 4, 2)

P1230015 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230014 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230011 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230010 by chilort, on Flickr

P1230009 by chilort, on Flickr

Jets are 76 primary and 82 secondary. It came with 70 primary and the equivalent of a 75 secondary.

Engine builder's fuel guy says the plugs should look like you pulled them out of the box and you have to look for bits of aluminum to check for detonation.

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/18/11 03:27 PM

Bigger squirter nozzles and a high flow PV should help.
Is it set to squirt at the slightest movement of throttle??

It may also need a more aggressive pump cam.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=accelerator%20pump%20cams&dds=1

nozzels
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=accelerator%20nozzles&dds=1

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/18/11 05:05 PM

It already has a 37 squirter.

I have a box of pump cams but it already has one of the most aggressive pump cams.

If I went with a high flow power valve what would you recommend?

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/18/11 05:41 PM

hears a 6.5
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-125-165/

you may want to try a 8.5
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-125-185/

as long as your in gear vacuum is 10 it will stay closed at idle and tip in much easier

I once used a dual 10.5/5.5 on a 600 holly vac on a mild 318 and that solved my light throttle ping. course my in gear vacuum was 13??

you may have to drill the passages out a bit behind the power valve in the metering block

??
or the metering block from a 750 may work better if you can fine one to fit!

http://books.google.ca/books?id=6JIHWWW5...DOyF04qhPy1svNM

http://books.google.ca/books?id=oVZrJgUA...igJW0PgYVHppCb4

http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/holley-tuning/101183-how-modify-your-holley-power-valve-circuit.html

lots of stuff to read out there I have a holley book somewhere i bought 20 years ago has been invaluable maybe I should update! LOL!
http://www.amazon.com/Holley-Carburetors-Design-Dave-Emanuel/dp/1884089283/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAD-SA08/
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/19/11 04:51 AM

I just had this same problem and solved it with a bunch of help from the guys here. This is a link to the thread https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/22/11 03:38 AM

I realize that the power valves are cheap and I live 30 miles away from a Summit outlet. But I don't see how a power valve is going to fix my issue. While my idle vacuum in gear is 10inhg, the vacuum where I first start to experience the ping is still around 15inhg or so. At this point, even an 8.5 valve shouldn't be contributing fuel. Right?

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/22/11 01:56 PM

But when you give it throttle vacuum drops quickly. this is when you are in transision and not enough air is moving past the ventures to give the richness it needs to accelerate. the power valve supplies that fuel needed for the transision no fuel lean = lean ping

Check out the links in my April 18th post and or buy a book!

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/22/11 04:19 PM

Quote:

But when you give it throttle vacuum drops quickly. this is when you are in transision and not enough air is moving past the ventures to give the richness it needs to accelerate. the power valve supplies that fuel needed for the transision no fuel lean = lean ping

I understand what a lean ping is. What I am saying is that I get ping holding steady at 12-18inhg. I have a vacuum gauge and I can look at it with my two eyes while pulling a slight grade and hear with my two ears what sounds like detonation. No grade, no problem. Full throttle, no problem. But at 12-18inhg, after the reading I have done in some of the links you posted, I don't see how a power valve is going to help.

I can see why people get frustrated with Holley carbs. "Wet flowed to work right out of the box" my fat a55. Maybe on a Chevy 350.
Posted By: fox

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/22/11 09:03 PM

EVERY carb needs tuned to each engine.
Even if you change an intake or timing or exhaust, you still may need some changes.

My 'guess' is that it has too much initial timing and the off idle curcuit is too lean. This is befor the main curcuit is flowing ( the jets).
Do you know the idle transition-fuel sizes? Or even the idle air jets sizes? This is where you will find the problem.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/22/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Check out the links in my April 18th post and or buy a book!

not true. the lean "hole" is covered by the accelerator pump. when the throttle is opened air rushes in before fuel has a chance to start flowing through the main circuit. the accelerator pump covers that momentary lean spot. the power valve used to be known as an economizer valve. at part throttle, it is closed, keeping the mixture from becoming too rich. when vacuum drops below a preset value, the valve opens to allow more fuel to flow through the main circuit for maximum power. most power valves (holley) have restrictions that are equal to ~8 jet sizes, so the primary jets are ~8 sizes smaller than the secondaries. when the valve is open (low vacuum) fuel in the main circuit (primary side) is flowing through the jets AND the power valve channel restrictions.

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/23/11 12:29 AM

Well, I talked to the engine builder today. I wish he were more of a carb guru but I like him anyway ... alot actually, he's really good at what he does.

Sorry if I express my frustration but I've been messing with this on and off for over a year. I don't mind learning but this has come very slowly. I probably will get a book now that I realize Holley carbs aren't setup to run on Mopars.

Talking to the builder, plus thinking about it on my own, also consulting "the Google," and as Fox has stated, it looks to be the idle mixture that is super lean. Other non-Mopar folks are dealing with the same issue on the Holley 750 on modern gas.

There are a few suggestions and I tried cranking up the idle mixture to test it out somewhat. Sure enough, that does appear to make a big difference. The plugs look a little better too. It still pings somewhat. Too bad I don't have a real 4150 carb where I can adjust the IAB without making lifelong changes to the carb. It also looks like a bigger idle well in the carb makes a difference too so I think I'll see if I can find one of those.

My biggest problem is before the power valve comes into play. I can certainly fix this somewhat with a power valve with a higher number but that isn't the only thing not working here.

Also, I'm having problems under steady load, not under changes. The accelerator pump is working quite well. I'm having trouble on very slight grades where I get into the throttle just a touch and then have to hold it there.

Re: Help me read my plugs - 04/24/11 07:01 PM

I picked up a Quick Fuel primary block yesterday. I took out the 0.028 idle fuel restriction and installed the 0.031 that was in the package. I think I could handle an 0.035. This cleaned up things considerably. I still have ping under steady light load but it is much more subtle and harder to get it to do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums