Moparts

sure grip advice

Posted By: hemidere

sure grip advice - 04/15/11 03:06 PM

Hi folks, I have a cone style sure grip carrier, it has a thread size spool between the side gears that moves side to side between the gears. It appears the axle ends but up against it. It can only be removed if I dissassemble the 3rd member. My question is I have green bearings on my axles, can this thing stay or does it have to go....Thanks in advance
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: sure grip advice - 04/15/11 04:47 PM

Normally it can stay. Usually stock axles, brake backing plates and housing it is OK. If you have aftermarket or cut and resplined axles that are a little too long, or brake backing plates removed, you could have the axles pinching the spacer, and cause the bearings to soon wear out. If the axles bottom out against the spacer, you could just grind a little off the ends of the axles. that is what I had to do on a pair of replines.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: sure grip advice - 04/15/11 04:51 PM

It is common practice to remove the thrust block when running green bearings. And on the cone type it has to come apart to remove it.

I suppose you could try leaving it in, and see if your axles will seat properly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums